How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by schwa, Feb 6, 2012.

1. schwa

schwa Member

Like a lot of folks here, I loves me some FX with my rigs. One thing I've found though, is it isn't usually practical to use/bring everything I might want to.

Once upon a time, I built up a 4 foot long, multi-tiered board that had most of the pedals in my collection. It was great in some ways - some pedals are better with a strat, some with an LP. Even if I used something occasionally, there is was - plugged in and powered up. There was a dark side however. Buffer and other signal passing issues. The board weighed around 40 pounds, and space was an issue in my rehearsal space and the small stages I play.

I decided I needed to downsize. For me it seems like a PT JR. is about right - enough space for some versatility, but not too much weight or floor space. I change out pedals for the music I am going to play, but still need to make compromises/sacrifices.

I running something like this currently, the drives might change according to the guitar/amp I am using. I'll leave the vibe and wah home if they're not going to get much use.

[​IMG]

What went into your choices in your rig? Do you take the "gotta have everything" or the "less is more" approach?

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Nice board you have there!!

I just put this together a few days ago. I've been gigging with the Pedaltrain Pro sized board for about 2 years now.....and have really enjoyed all the Flavors!

[​IMG]

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Lassie me!
    Both those boards look like way too much for me.
    But if there just has to be a certain effect, I'll take it along and try to work it in.

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Nice rigs - I feel the same way. Haven't had time to play out in a while, but I have a w/d/w rig. If I were to go play a jam thing, I would just run my reverb and delay into the front of my amp, but for classic rock, I would run the amp dirty and I don't have an effect loop.

5. ttasselm

ttasselm Member

Definitely a "less is more" kind of guy...I never use more than what fits on a PT Mini or Nano.

6. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

This is plenty for me: :p

[​IMG]

7. teleclem

teleclem Member

Depends on what I'll be playing. I have my big board (see sig) for the extensive stuff that we do. But for quick gigs/jams/rehearsals, I have a nano where I can just rotate needed pedals.

8. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I think I am sort of in the middle, I use a PT-2, I have all my bases covered, but I could add stuff (it would be nice to have about 3 fuzzes, 2 overdrives, 1 distortion and a boost or two). The Cornish and Dr. Scientist are going to get kicked off when I get 2 E3Ds.

[​IMG]

9. JimGtr

JimGtr Member

I change out pedals constantly, and it's tough decision sometimes, but if it doesn't fit on my Pedaltrain mini it doesn't go.