How much money has being a guitar player made you?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stratman Dan, Feb 17, 2019.

1. GTone80

GTone80 Member

Guitar paid me enough for afford a nice Pedalboard... but unfortunatly not with my playing. But with set-up and repairs.

Just for my playing : Somebody paid me once 2 Pints to play ! YEAH I'M A ROCK MONSTER !

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

made?
    MADE?
    :spit:roll:rotflmao

Sacrifice likes this.
  3. ieso

ieso Member

I did make some $ but far less than I spent. I wish I had at least half of that back and had put it in a mutual fund

4. Digidog

Digidog Member

Quite a lot.

But then I am a musician, arranger/composer and music teacher.

bobcs71 and jens5 like this.
  5. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

that depends... are we considering all of the guitars and gear and such expenses to counteract the income? if so, then I've definitely lost money big time. If not, then it has made me a grand total of $0.00 lol

6. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

Not much! But I had a an awful lot of fun.

7. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

About $50+k a year net, in the mid 70's. $20+k a year from the 80's to now. Most of my income now is teaching and the occasional gig.

Baxtercat likes this.
  8. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Not much, but enough to have paid for my guitars a few times over.

Baxtercat likes this.
  9. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I was just looking at some old records. I was making a modest living at it for about 25 years. With inflation, works out roughly to about 30-50k net a year in today's money. Some years were better than others, there were some tough spots, but I was able to make a living. Being single, I had a roof and food and a car and could buy decent gear if I needed it. I also knew how to live cheap. I can cook, I rarely ate out. Now that I have some money, I still rarely eat out.
    I don't think I could do that today. Used to be, there were a lot of bars running bands 5-6 nights a week. Not anymore.

I still gig sometimes. Did a gig Friday, made 100. Got one on Tuesday, probably the same, and one Wed that will be a little less. But since I am not playing for the money, I probably spend all I make on gear, these days. An amp is probably a years worth of gigs.

Baxtercat likes this.
  10. kor

kor Member

Close to 20 years ago I was introduced to a woman who was a contemporary christian singer from Nashville. She was up here visiting family and wanted someone to help her get the key and chord progressions figured out for maybe a dozen songs. My buddy and I spent a day working with her and made a few hundred bucks each if I recall correctly. She recorded everything to take back to the band for the next album they were doing. I wish I could remember her name. I never did check out the finished product.

I'm sure there were a few other times I made 50.00 for doing an acoustic gig or even less with a full band. I really don't miss playing out.

11. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

It's probably a wash. I gave lessons and gigged for about 20 years, but everything I made went into gear and bills.

12. sleewell

sleewell Member

13. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I just play for enjoyment. Would be nice to make money with it though at least so I think.

Aggravated Sonic Assault, potential band name. :aok:D

VooDooClown and Jazzandmore like this.
  14. Fat tone79

Fat tone79 Supporting Member

20-40k over the last 4 years. We have an agent etc. so that comes off the top. I enjoy playing live, only playing 6 shows a year these days. But if the money is right and we have the time we take the gig.

jens5 likes this.
  15. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

-$1,xxx,xxx.xx would be a good guess for me. :D

16. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Let me put it this way. If it was only about the money I would have spent all of those practice hours delivering pizza.

17. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

The most I took in was $300 per week (3 shows) in the mid 2000s.

I refuse to figure out how much $ I’ve lost by buying & selling gear. I have very little left to show for it.

18. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Not very much and it didn't get me laid either. That is for a few decades of cover bands at most twice a week mostly once a month. Generally 50 to 100 bucks a show. Probably have spent around $100k on gear in my life.

19. Calebz

Calebz Member

I've probably broken even over the past 30+ years if you just look at direct money in vs money out (gigs vs gear).

But my playing and subsequent loose association with a local band was the catalyst for landing my current day job.

If you go past guitar to music in general, I'm probably 10-20k positive over 30+ years with mixing projects and things.

20. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

People make money playing the guitar? Huh...never even considered that option! ;)

Scrapperz likes this.