• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

How much money has being a guitar player made you?

GTone80

Guitar paid me enough for afford a nice Pedalboard... but unfortunatly not with my playing. But with set-up and repairs.

Just for my playing : Somebody paid me once 2 Pints to play ! YEAH I'M A ROCK MONSTER !

ieso

I did make some $ but far less than I spent. I wish I had at least half of that back and had put it in a mutual fund

caledoneus

that depends... are we considering all of the guitars and gear and such expenses to counteract the income? if so, then I've definitely lost money big time. If not, then it has made me a grand total of $0.00 lol

jens5

Gold Supporting Member
About $50+k a year net, in the mid 70's. $20+k a year from the 80's to now. Most of my income now is teaching and the occasional gig.

ripgtr

How much money do you think playing the guitar/ being a guitarist has actually made you?
I was just looking at some old records. I was making a modest living at it for about 25 years. With inflation, works out roughly to about 30-50k net a year in today's money. Some years were better than others, there were some tough spots, but I was able to make a living. Being single, I had a roof and food and a car and could buy decent gear if I needed it. I also knew how to live cheap. I can cook, I rarely ate out. Now that I have some money, I still rarely eat out.
I don't think I could do that today. Used to be, there were a lot of bars running bands 5-6 nights a week. Not anymore.

I still gig sometimes. Did a gig Friday, made 100. Got one on Tuesday, probably the same, and one Wed that will be a little less. But since I am not playing for the money, I probably spend all I make on gear, these days. An amp is probably a years worth of gigs.

kor

Close to 20 years ago I was introduced to a woman who was a contemporary christian singer from Nashville. She was up here visiting family and wanted someone to help her get the key and chord progressions figured out for maybe a dozen songs. My buddy and I spent a day working with her and made a few hundred bucks each if I recall correctly. She recorded everything to take back to the band for the next album they were doing. I wish I could remember her name. I never did check out the finished product.

I'm sure there were a few other times I made 50.00 for doing an acoustic gig or even less with a full band. I really don't miss playing out.

SmilingDave

Silver Supporting Member
It's probably a wash. I gave lessons and gigged for about 20 years, but everything I made went into gear and bills.

Fat tone79

Silver Supporting Member
20-40k over the last 4 years. We have an agent etc. so that comes off the top. I enjoy playing live, only playing 6 shows a year these days. But if the money is right and we have the time we take the gig.

BEACHBUM

Let me put it this way. If it was only about the money I would have spent all of those practice hours delivering pizza.

bobcs71

The most I took in was $300 per week (3 shows) in the mid 2000s.

I refuse to figure out how much $ I’ve lost by buying & selling gear. I have very little left to show for it.

Oinkus

Not very much and it didn't get me laid either. That is for a few decades of cover bands at most twice a week mostly once a month. Generally 50 to 100 bucks a show. Probably have spent around $100k on gear in my life.

Calebz

I've probably broken even over the past 30+ years if you just look at direct money in vs money out (gigs vs gear).

But my playing and subsequent loose association with a local band was the catalyst for landing my current day job.

If you go past guitar to music in general, I'm probably 10-20k positive over 30+ years with mixing projects and things.

Trending Topics