How much more gain does the MI SuperCrunch Box have over the Barber DirectDrive?

still.ill

I love the tone of Barber DD, but even at gain maxed out I feel I would like a tad more gain---- (after getting way too used to my big muff)

Anyone with both can compare?

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
The Super Crunch Box has a lot more gain but its a harder clipped gain structure so its more in your face compressed distortion. Are you using the older Direct Drive? I have the Compact Direct Drive and it feels a bit more aggressive than the standard DD, both SCB & DD are nice but over all I like the CDD a lot more and it cleans up great the SCB cleans up ok and if you need more gain out of the DD hit it with another drive pedal or boost!

still.ill

hehhe, right now I am actually using the old black barber DD as a boost for my CDD... it actually works quite well. How would a gain changer interact better?

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
I've owned both, the Super CB has a lot more gain than the DD, but isn't nearly as sweet sounding as the DD. The CB is crunchier while the DD smoother. I have the compact DD and wish it just a little more push/gain to it as well.

Waxhead

I've owned both, the Super CB has a lot more gain than the DD, but isn't nearly as sweet sounding as the DD. The CB is crunchier while the DD smoother. I have the compact DD and wish it just a little more push/gain to it as well.
ok thanks - never tried the Barber DD - won't bother now.
The SCB has CRUNCH in its name cos that's what it delivers - just like Marshall Plexi & JCM/JTM amps do, just like the Young bros do.
If it ain't got heaps of crunch then its not a Marshall in a box pedal imo.
Still might be great for other things but not what I want :)

gatordoc

The Super Crunch Box has a lot more gain but its a harder clipped gain structure so its more in your face compressed distortion. Are you using the older Direct Drive? I have the Compact Direct Drive and it feels a bit more aggressive than the standard DD, both SCB & DD are nice but over all I like the CDD a lot more and it cleans up great the SCB cleans up ok and if you need more gain out of the DD hit it with another drive pedal or boost!
This is the reason that after a lot of back and forth I decided to stick with my DDSS. I finally found some settings for the internal trimmers, including turning the harmonics and presence trimmers way up, that really made it sizzle. I'm using higher output single coils and it has plenty of gain for me. I also like that it's a little less compressed than the SCB. I thought the SCB actually sounded better in the lower gain setting but that's probably due more to the music I play.