How much more would you enjoy your favorite amp if...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leonc, Jul 15, 2008.

How much more would you enjoy your "main" amp if you could play it as loud as needed?

1. Quite a bit more

2. Somewhat more

3. Maybe a little more

4. No more

5. I'd actually enjoy it less

6. Don't know...I'm already deaf!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

...you got to play it turned up further?

EDIT: Please note that the option in the poll, "No more", can be interpreted as "I already get to play my amp at the optimal volume therefore there would be no further improvement."

My theory is that if many folks got to play their amps at the volume at which they "achieved the amp's potential", they'd really enjoy they quite a bit more. Not to say you don't enjoy them now, but I think a LOT of people are strapped with volume issues much of the time.

And related question: would you consider buying a different amp if you could play it "as loud as needed" to get the sound out of it that you desired?

Rhetorical question: I wonder what percentage of "touring guitarists" playing very large venues frequently deal with volume issues to the point where they're making "serious compromises"? My guess is ... some, but not most.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Definitely. As it is, I like the sound at home, but am much happier playing it in the studio at a volume where it starts compressing more.

Definitely. I'd have some sort of EL84 amp, as I love the sound of those amps when turned up. A DC/30 is total overkill for me, but it would be on my short list if I could crank it up regularly.

Bryan

3. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I don't tour, and rarely play mic'd. Turning up the amp to sound better is usually not a problem for me. I have all different sized amps from 12 to 120 watts, and multiple speaker cabinets of various sizes. I try to bring the gear that fits best for the venue.

4. Leonc

Ditto...accept that I rely on having a BIG clean sound and a dirty sound that is no bigger...or maybe just a tiny bit bigger. I find that I can't get the big clean sound from something like an 18W amp, though I'll be able to get a very good dirty sound in some cases. I think the ideal rig for me really would involve one amp for the cleans and a different amp for the dirties. I probably love 100W for clean and 30 for dirty...

5. Leonc

Also, I have to say that a cranked 50 watter is almost always going to sound better to me than a cranked 18 watter. There's something about moving the air that radically changes the experience.

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Really hate when the amp is to damn loud, my ears hurt, and wearing ear plugs I can not hear my self, or the others, and the earplugs itch in my ears. My amps are 40 watts and which is perfect for getting the overdrive tone and not having to wear ear plugs, really hate to play with some idiot with a big amp, used to threaten them with changing my amp to 85 watts, is a Mark IV and the power can be varied, usually play is as a 50 watt amp, but now its a stickly 40 watt amp with the 6V6s and tweed power mode, which is where I love to be amp wise.

7. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I like enough volume to get some overdrive from the amp, roll off guitar volume for cleans and use pedals for dirt. Most places I play I can use a 50 watt marshall clone and vary the size/# of speakers to suit the size of the room. I have another marshall clone that can take 6V6's for smaller settings, or I use a 2-el84 1x12 combo. I thought about a multiple amp rig, but its enough of a PITA hauling and setting up one amp!

8. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Word.:agree

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

HUGE PLUS 1.

That is the entire crux of the gear biscuit (sorry, bad mixing of metaphors). Leon, I agree completely - the sound and feel of a cranked 50 watter is what playing live is all about to me.

Nowadays, a cranked 50 watter would get me fired from most of the gigs I play - not all, but most. I'd TOTALLY be able to get along with many amps if I could just turn 'em up a bit. even something like a Pro Reverb cranked to 7 or 8 sounds pretty dang good with a lot of different guitars.

If I had a Fender flavor, a Marshall flavor, and a Vox flavor amp and I could crank 'em a bit, I'd be totally happy.

At least that's the story I'm telling NOW .... (GRIN)

Thanks, great question, Dana O.

10. Leonc

Totally, and that's why I'm not willing to drag one around either given the joints I typically play...But that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is being in the situation of a touring pro who routinely plays in big venues, on big stages and has all his (or her?) crap dragged around and setup for him, ready to go.

11. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Um...there is no option that says I do get to play my main amp as loud as I need. I've got a Bumbox Lead 50 and I send it into a 4x12 and it's fine, loud, and clean.

My problem is that I would love for my 30w '66 Ampeg Gemini II (w/ 15" JBL style Weber) to be loud enough to stay clean against my drummer, but even with solid tubes and a very efficient speaker, it can't get there.

I need 50w or I'm drowned out and I will not ask him to reign it in. His huge drumming is a key part of our sound.

12. Leonc

Yes there is, actually. The option "No more" means that your sound wouldn't improve if you got to play louder...in your case, that is because you're already playing loud enough.

:AOK

13. D.G.

D.G. Member

I already play at the volume levels I want. Any louder and the amp tends to do things I don't like.

14. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Considering my favorite amp is a Super Reverb, yes, I would love to be able to play it loud enough to sound good. As of now, it's too big for me to gig with.

15. Seditious

Seditious Member

I've never understood why you wouldn't turn it as loud as you want. I have a volume I usually practice at which is already pretty loud, but I'll dime my RSA 23 just to hear that sweet, sweet full out tone. My HC30R has a master so I don't need to dime it, but it still sounds best when it's quite loud.

If you can't turn your amp up to the level you want, why do you have the amp?

16. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Every amp sounds better. That even goes for Modeler's. There's the amp/guitar interaction thing going on that flat out doesn't happen low. Or with IEM's.

17. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I have a '68 50 watt plexi that I was forced to use clean and use pedals for dirt because of the volume issue.

THEN CAME THE ULTIMATE ATTENUATOR.:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK

No more issues - especially because I have a 2 volume model.

Almost NO pedal use - just the amp.

It's a bit pricey but it's the way to go.

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have a 5E3 style amp and a Gries 35. I crank them both. I don't use an attenuator. Life is good.

EDIT: Leon, you need a choice for those who do crank it.

19. Leonc

There is a choice: "No more", meaning that there would be no improvement as you're already getting what you want from the amp. I'll see if I can edit the poll options to make that clearer.

20. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

What?? I can't hear you...