• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

How much of Kill Em All was Dave Mustaines influence?

Bunky

KEM is my fave Metallica album because it is the ballsiest and most ass kicking obviously. How much of it is thanks to Mustaine?

PTS

Co-wrote a lot of the songs and Hammett based his solos largely on what Dave did on the No Life Til Leather demos. So a pretty large part.

skronker

2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions
Mustaine was Metallica.
Megadeth is the band Metallica should have been.

I've always thought that Megadeth's songs were better than Metallica's.
The songs always sounded more raw because of Mustaine's style.

art_z

Silver Supporting Member
Well it looks like Mustaine put all of his "talent" into the songs he did with Hetfield because no Megadeth song or album comes close to anything Metallica did on those first 3 records. I think a lot of the "sound" of that first album is John and Marsha Zazula from Megaforce, because nothing sounded that raw and fierce after they moved to Elektra.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Well it looks like Mustaine put all of his "talent" into the songs he did with Hetfield because no Megadeth song or album comes close to anything Metallica did on those first 3 records. I think a lot of the "sound" of that first album is John and Marsha Zazula from Megaforce, because nothing sounded that raw and fierce after they moved to Elektra.
Mustaine is all over Kill Em All.

Metallica was a huge force back in the day. I remember when And Justice... came out. Metallica was huge, and I quickly got all of their stuff up til that point.

I have to disagree with you, though. I'll listen to Peace Sells before anything Metallica, these days. :dude

gtrlw

Silver Supporting Member
Mustaine is all over Kill Em All. Metallica was a huge force back in the day. I remember when And Justice... came out. Metallica was huge, and I quickly got all of their stuff up til that point. I have to disagree with you, though. I'll listen to Peace Sells before anything Metallica, these days. :dude
Ditto

badhorsie551

Just look at how many times "mustaine" appears in the album credits. It appears almost half and technically "the four horsemen" is essentially entirely Mustaine minus the middle james/lars added and the new lyrics.

His name even appears on the bands 2nd album twice!

If you ever heard some of the demos from the band where Dave is singing the words you can tell James mimicked some of mustaine's style in the bands early material. It wasn't until the Puppets album where the band was being more themselves but even then they were "borrowing" riffs from more unknown bands (sanitarium in particular). Leper Messiah is allegedly a Mustaine riff according to him.

taez555

Those first two albums definitely have a lot of touches of what Megadeth would be, vs the path Metallica would eventually take. Obviously he co-wrote a lot of the early material. But, yeah... he was a very integral part of early Metallica.

It's interesting to listen to him when he was in the band. It's almost like listening to 3/4 Metallica with 1/4 Megadeth mixed in. :)

harmonicator

All the catchiest riffs on KEA were Mustaine's.

No denying James, Lars, and Cliff were capable of great songwriting after Dave's ousting. Master has nothing by Dave that I'm aware of.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
Mustaine is all over Kill Em All.

Metallica was a huge force back in the day. I remember when And Justice... came out. Metallica was huge, and I quickly got all of their stuff up til that point.

I have to disagree with you, though. I'll listen to Peace Sells before anything Metallica, these days. :dude
I agree. Now that I'm older and wiser I think Megadeth has more to offer.

TeleBlack

Metallica would never have happened without Dave.

I would have never happened without James and Lars too.

Those three developed one of the coolest things ever.

NashSG

In the end, it was good thing for both bands that they ended up splitting when they did. There was no way Mustaine's ego would have been able to work in that band with Hetfield and Lars for any time other than it did.

Considering how high Megadeth was flying on drugs and booze in the early days, it's amazing they were able to pull off what they did.

III

Co-wrote a lot of the songs and Hammett based his solos largely on what Dave did on the No Life Til Leather demos. So a pretty large part.
Kirk was told to open with the first bar or two for most of the solos... there's a good reason for that, as the demos show... Dave blew his load by the second bar and goes nowhere... whereas Kirk plays some timeless solos.

Did Dave go on to do great things? Yes... Rust In Peace is amazing. But Kirk was a way better soloist back then.

27sauce

Man, somebody on one of the fan sites compiled every published reference to what Mustaine wrote on KEM-Puppets(In the mid '00's he started saying he wrote riffs on MOP).

The songs he is credited on are basically all him, musically, with Hetfield writing lyrics and Ulrich arranging. He felt he deserved credit for riffs on No Remorse and Whiplash.

Hit the Lights and Motorbreath predated Dave.

This is a cool interview. Its easy to forget how young these guys were.

RoadToad4

Kirk was told to open with the first bar or two for most of the solos... there's a good reason for that, as the demos show... Dave blew his load by the second bar and goes nowhere... whereas Kirk plays some timeless solos.

Did Dave go on to do great things? Yes... Rust In Peace is amazing. But Kirk was a way better soloist back then.
Kirk was definitely a way better soloist. IMO Marty Friedman was the best soloist Megadeth ever had.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom