how much of the tele sound is the bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, May 6, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

In my search for a tele, I've seen some nice andersons and melancons that don't use a bridge plate. How much of the tele bridge sound requires the real tele bridge ?

2. shawntp

shawntp Member

Its definitely the signature of the guitar IMO - the metal plate behind the pickup just adds to that tone. To me the neck sounds great too - but sort of falls back more in the range of strat sounds ...less discernible or something.

Maybe thats why we see a lot of neck Hum Tele's (thats what I have) to me a tele with a neck hum and classic bridge just give a great variety of tones in one guitar.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Thanks Shawn. I wonder if anyone's tried converting an anderson or melancon to a standard T bridge? Why would they make a tele with the non-tele bridge?

4. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

The big plate and heavy saddles are a big part of the tele sound.

5. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

In my reccent experience with changing bridges on my Tele, I can tell you the bridge (especially a nice thin one) is a big part of the classic Tele sound.

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

I have wondered this myself.

I'm pretty sure both Gerard and Tom have said they prefer the sound of the bridges they use and that's why they don't seem to offer them as much (and in the case of Anderson at all). I think I could easily put that bridge on my Mel without even having to change the pickguard, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do on an Anderson.

That being said, my Mel blackguard has plenty of great tele tone, not that much different from the couple of Fenders I have with the plate bridge (the difference to me could easily be in the pickups). For me the only way to know for sure would be to A/B bridges on the same guitar a few times.

7. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

40% Bridge
    40% Bridge Pickup
    20% Ash/Alder Body
    10% Hands

8. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Speaking of which, does anyone make a great Strat bridge pickup with a plate that sounds more Esquire, or tele like?

9. ganttmann

ganttmann Member

Throw in another 50% for attitude.

Gantt

10. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Strung through the body and shared brass barrel saddles are why a Tele crushes a Strat.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I dunno. I've played some 'Teles' without the 3-barrel bridge plate, but with standard tele style pickups that still sounded pretty damn tele to me. I do think the plate does contribute some attitude if you will, but IMO it'd be the only last 10% or so of the equation.

12. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Sorry, I can't hang with that. The hands with a Tele matter more than that IMO. Tele's make me play harder and it really affects the outcome.

As for bridges I think it matters alot. I have a handbuilt Tele with handwound pickups and a fat, solid brass bridge, brass nut and brass saddles and it's mighty. I never compared the brass with a standard.

13. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Well I was thinking more of some Tele players can make other guitars sound like a Tele with their hands/style/technique...And when I hear someone hit an open E note on a Tele it still sounds like a Tele, "Look Ma no hands!....Bomp!"

14. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I concur with much of what is posted above :

The tele bridge makes a big difference - as well as the choice of saddles

modern 6 saddle bridges , 3 saddles w/ Brass OR steel , top loader, etc

They all have subtle effects on tone but the tele tone is SO telling that its definitely audible

Keef uses a modern 6 saddle gotoh ( 5 saddle actually - LOL ) and gets great teles tone -so let's dont get TOO hardcore. Teles just sound great all around - but my preference is a 3 saddle bridge ( either brass or steel - depending on the guitar )

15. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

Duncan makes a 'twangbanger' which is a strat bridge but has all the winds/structure of a tele/esquire pup with the brass plate on the bottom and it works and sounds great in a strat for those of us who also love teles/esquires :)

16. oscar100

oscar100 Member

v important i think as is teh thru body

17. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Well I'm pretty sure that the bridge plate enhances the magnetic field of the pickup. If you take it away you must, to some degree, alter the sound. Having said that I think the wood has a big influence on the Tele sound too. My Tele copy has a basswood body with a 6 saddle bridge and plate + vintage low output s/c pups and it's pretty deep and meaty sounding - at least compared to traditional alder or ash body Teles.

18. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

You can order a SUhr start that way - I did. But it still doesn't sound just like a Tele

19. Kappy

Kappy Member

Am I missing something? With all these replies I'm hearing a lot of a subjective opinions about the differences but nothing concrete or scientific that can be proven objectively. Has anyone actually done any serious testing or A/B'ing different bridges on the exact same guitar?

20. FUSER

FUSER Member