• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How much percentage of the sound is in the pickups rather than the guitar?

still.ill

I played a LP standard in a shop the other day with burstbuckers.... tone reminded me more of the 335 with 57 classics than my lp studio faded with the 498/490 t combo, very classic rock sounding.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
more than what most choose to believe. IMO, pickups and amp have more to do with your tone than anything else in the equation (other than the player)

SPROING!

Electric guitar? Every bit of it.
The body (wood, scale, string choice, neck type, strap buttons) will influence what the pickups capture but you ain't hearing wood through your amp.

These aren't acoustic instruments.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
It depends on the guitar, the pickups, the amp, who is playing, and your underwear.

J-E-M

Did you account for the negative cycling inversion factor in the pickup to string
interaction, and the loss of beta particles into the body wood?
No, I don't think you did :jo :Spank
Re-do the calculation!:waiting

hackenfort

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not so sure about this, I have several of the same model guitar, in different finishes. Out of 4 of them one, just sounds so much better than the other three. The body resonates so much, to my ears it's sounds better than the other three.

I do agree that a huge portion of the sound is created by the pickup and the amp. But the way the guitar vibrates can make the world of difference.

/13guitarman

Silver Supporting Member
take a custom shop strat and remove the pickups and mount them on a 2x4 with some guitar strings and it should sound 72.6515% as good as the fender??

That's the general consensus of this thread so far.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
take a custom shop strat and remove the pickups and mount them on a 2x4 with some guitar strings and it should sound 72.6515% as good as the fender??

That's the general consensus of this thread so far.
Is the 2X4 alder or ash?

Dale

Have folks remembered the opening scene of the movie where Page, Edge and Jack White get together? White mounts what looks like a strat pickup on a board with a nail. A lot is the pickup.

rawkguitarist

Lot's of luthiers will disagree with most of you here... Why do my 3 guitars with Lollar Imperials in them sound *completely* different? Is Jason Lollar that inconsistent? One is a semi-hollow, one is a full hollow ergo guitar and one is a solid body PRS.

Electric guitars are *in fact* way more acoustic than most realize. It all has to do with the fact that pickups are in fact slightly microphonic and there is the cycle of the acoustic chassis being excited by the strings and being reflected back as an overall tonal result being "heard" by the pickups.

Tom60

Guitar (electric or acoustic) has its voice. Pickups only capture a part of it. The better they are, the more of the voice you get..

AlexF

One of the few statements by Paul Reed Smith which I can absolutely agree with - and trust me I've got decades of experience of messing with pups and woods - is that the wood is the voice and the pickups are the microphones. That statement is EXACTLY right. Anyone who thinks a good pickup can make a turd guitar sound good, really has no experience of the subject at all.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom