How much POP does your Turbo Tuner make when turned on?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by doublee, Oct 23, 2008.

1. doublee

doublee Member

Mine seems to make a fair amount even when all other pedals are off...

2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Absolutely none.

And believe me, I DO have some pedals that pop - the most notorious being the BJF PGC (*POP!!*) and to a much lesser degree the Red Witch Moon Phase. But zero pop from the Turbo Tuner.

-Ben

3. daysofspeed

daysofspeed Member

mine makes none, is it daisy chained? i run mine off a battery. My memory man pops sometimes, i think its largely dependent on the power source. Ive done some gigs where my amp hummed really badly, its usually very quiet, and all my true bypass pedals popped but where i rehearse its always fine.

If it is only the tuner that pops try moving it somewhere else in the chain.

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Never had a pop on mine.

5. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I've had my TT for a few months now and never had it pop or make any other noise's.

6. Improviser

Improviser Member

7. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

8. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

9. doublee

doublee Member

Note from the OP: I took it off the daisy chain as suggested and gave it its own power and that quiets it down, however there is a faint click heard thru the amp still when stomped on...when you guys say "no pop" do you mean NO click/pop at all? What its doing now I can live with, but am still curious...

10. muffinman

muffinman Member

zip, zero, as in 'no pop', and I've powered it with 1-SPOT, PP2+, and battery. Order in your effects chain? My Turbo is 1st right after guitar. Could be some pedal with an unfriendly impedance is right before your TT.

11. doublee

doublee Member

The order is:

Tele > TTuner > KOT > TonePress > Boss delay > SonicStomp > Switchbone > amp(s) DR and Princeton. All powered off the OneSpot...

Thanks for your time,

e

12. doublee

doublee Member

Eric,

Sharing power with multiple pedals can be a source of the popping. It stems from the fact that most, if not all, overdrive/distortion pedals use unregulated power and will respond to fluctuations on the power supply. This is one of the reasons some players use carbon batteries with their distortion pedals (the carbon batteries have a power sag that changes the characteristics of the pedal).

When you press the footswitch on the ST-200 there is a sudden increase in current draw (about 43mA) from the power source, and this will cause a sudden change in the voltage. If a pedal is not regulating the power input, any such fluctuations will be picked up and amplified.

These pedals respond to any fluctuations, transients or noise on the power input, and many pedals will cause power fluctuations on the power supply line (even if the external power supply you are using is regulated). This is why power supplies like the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power+ have isolated power outputs - to eliminate pedal interaction.

Please keep me posted on how things work out.

Regards,
    Roger at Turbo Tuner Support
    800-811-0272

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

No pop on mine either.

Just get a PPII, it's worth it.

14. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

15. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

16. njhead

njhead Member

none here, I use a little T-REX Fuel Tank Jr for power

17. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

18. highfive!

highfive! Member

zip, zero, zilch. Mine's on a daisy chain.

19. jb1911

jb1911 Member

20. CitizenAudio

CitizenAudio Member

Just for anyone who is experiencing a "pop" (like I am), straight from Sonic Research, they said that the "popping" noise is pretty much unavoidable in the current design of the pedal. Whether you have the pedal's power isolated or not. Even if it's not attached to any power source, you can still make the popping noise as the switch goes to ground. Albeit, my pop is almost unnoticeable, I can definitely tell that there is a pop noise into my amp. At low to mid volumes it is very hard to distinguish from the actual switch or the signal.

Also, they said they were actually very surprised that everybody in this thread said they were experiencing complete silence when stomping on their Turbo Tuner.

So all in all, you don't have a defective tuner and can go back to being in tune in peace...