How much should a retube on my Bogner Duende cost

FFOGG

Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut
I just had mine done and the shop used JJ tubes 6V6...,I got charged $140 for tubes and $50 for labor .

I went on Amazon to price tubes came out to about $50 ..

Was I ripped off ?

logdrum

Mojado Seco will cost you more than 50 even the cheap no name Chinese tubes if you bought on Amazon prime. Repair places usually by from a central place those are not cheap and shipping is not free like Amazon and since a business they charge taz also Plus usually it is a 17% markup on what they paid. It is pretty standard to do that. My mechanics are cool for me to get parts on line with the understanding that they will have to charge me if the parts break for them to take i out and me to send it for exchange.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I just had mine done and the shop used JJ tubes 6V6...,I got charged $140 for tubes and $50 for labor .

I went on Amazon to price tubes came out to about $50 ..

Was I ripped off ?

You're WAYYYY off with that Amazon pricing. Here's retail pricing for JJ's from Eurotubes.com for a full retube on a Duende:

(5) 12AX7 preamp tubes @ $11 each = $55.00
(2) 6V6 power tubes @ $16 each = $32.00
(1) 5AR4 rectifier @ $16.50 each = $16.50

Priority Mail shipping = $13.40

So you're into $116.90 without labor. If the shop marks up the parts by 15%, then you can add another $15.53 for a parts total of $132.43.

IMHO, you did not get ripped off. If you got charged $140 for just the power tubes, then you got raped.

mesa/kramer

Paying an amp tech to change tubes for you is kind of like hiring an electrician to change some light bulbs..... :dunno

logdrum

Paying an amp tech to change tubes for you is kind of like hiring an electrician to change some light bulbs..... :dunno

You probably never experienced a shorted grid resistor due to a shorted tube or plugged in a rectifier with a failed getter. Scared the merde out of me and for months I would use a broomstick to turn on the amp even after I brought it to a tech who assured me I won't be electrocuted. This was way back when I did not know anything. The Ampeg VL-503 required you to remove the chassis to get to the pre-amp tubes. I've heard spring retainers re-coling and cracking a tube glass.

Comments like these can hurt someone really bad because the forums told them so.

FFOGG

Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut
They also said they rebiased the amp..(not sure exactly what that means )..going to band practice this am let's see how the amp sounds .

Vibroluxman

They also said they rebiased the amp..(not sure exactly what that means )..going to band practice this am let's see how the amp sounds .

Biasing is setting the mp up to run correctly with the power tubes (usually around 70% dissipation of the tube's total output). That 70% varies with each set of matched tubes unless you know and specify the same spec of the tubes that were in there before hand. Some folks like to get a matched quad or an octet depending on the amp so they have a set of tubes that they can insert again without having to bias. Groove tube ratings and Mesa's are like that as well; grab a same spec'd groove tube and you're ready to rock without biasing. Own a mesa and use a mesa and you'll always be in spec.

Trotter

Sounds excessive to me.

Why not get an amp bias tool and do the job yourself? It's easy and will pay for itself after the first couple uses.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom