How much should I pay for a '54 Deluxe with shredded tweed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by randy morser, Feb 16, 2015.

1. randy morser

randy morser Member

I played a 1954 all original and fell in love today. My 62 non reverb has been my gigging amp for over a decade, but of course tweed is a little closer to heaven than brown. Looks like it's all original, sounds like a million bucks. The only drawback is the tweed itself. I don't really care how it looks, I just don't want to pay too much for it.

How much should I expect to pay for something like that?

Please don't ask me what it's worth to me? I'm looking for some sort of realistic opinion about the market. [emoji1]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Moved to the proper section.

3. zenas

zenas Member

I'd pay more for a ratty one than a recovered one every time. What's the guts look like a lot of tweeds have the Astron coupling caps replaced and they can go bad but some guys replace them all at that point I'll build a clone.

4. randy morser

randy morser Member

Interesting. The only benefit to an original vice a clone to you are the capaciters?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  5. Oatie

Oatie Member

If the chassis has no rust or pitting and the lettering is all good, original trannys it may be worth getting for under 2k. Pics would help to determine estimate. Does your 1954 have the 12AX7 Preamp? Or the older metal tubes?

If the tweed is so bad you can't live with it (Like A Cat Scratch Pole Amp), you can have Greg Hopkins at Vintage Amp recover it just like the original.
    His work is about the best, and the corners are perfect.

6. zenas

zenas Member

No not at all. I just want an original to be as original as possible electrolytic caps of course need to be changed and like I said those yellow Astrons can be a problem. And a lot of guys just replace them all maybe they were all bad IDK.

Couple of years ago I wanted a 5E7 every one I looked at online had a lot of replacement parts and hey I ain't going to kid you the cost was up there too. So I built one.

While back I saw a brownface Twin on CL the whole board was orange drops but he still wanted big money for it. Thankfully he posted gut shots so we didn't waste each other's time.

Basicly I don't have a problem with changed stuff if the price is right. It just never is.

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Is it a 5D3? If so your probably looking at 1500-1800. If it's the slightly later 5E3 a bit more, 5C3 a bit less.

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

^ ^ ^ ^
    This.

You said you're using a '64 Deluxe and mention brown? I know they stopped making the 6G3 brown Deluxe in '63.

9. randy morser

randy morser Member

Where do I look to find out if it is a 5E3?

10. randy morser

randy morser Member

11. smolder

The tube chart inside will be printed with a circuit number, but they sometimes used old ones. Mine says 5C3, but the 6SC7's are crossed out with 12AX7 written in from the factory. A 5E3 would have the same tube set up as a 5D3, but a slightly different circuit. The only way to know for sure would be to look at the circuit and compare to Fender layouts/schematics (easily found online). If it says 5E3 you can be pretty certain, but it won't if it's truly a '54.

12. randy morser

randy morser Member

So if it is a 54 but its actually a 5E3, what will it say or how will I know other than comparing circuit diagrams that I don't know how to read?

13. zenas

zenas Member

14. randy morser

randy morser Member

Says 5c3 with 12ax7 written in. Having trouble posting the pic.

Maybe this will work
    [​IMG]

15. randy morser

randy morser Member

So does that (picture with 5C3 and tubes written in as 12AX7) mean that it is a 5D3 and if so, how much should I pay for it?

16. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, it's a 5D3. I wouldn't pay more than $1,650 in that condition. The amp looks pretty well worn. The plus is that the amp has been serviced.

17. randy morser

randy morser Member

18. smolder

And, worn amps were either abused, or sounded so good someone played the crap out of it.

19. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

I would get that mint GA-40 instead.

20. bluefish

bluefish Supporting Member

FWIW I had a late 50's Tremolux that someone recovered in black tolex and it was ratty as hell. It sounded unbelievable.. I had it recovered in nice lacquered tweed by a well known guy and the amp lost noticeable mojo...so if you do pick it up and it sounds great don't mess with it !!!