How much should I pay for this black line drip edge pro reverb? Pics included...

theyre coming theyre coming

Silver Supporting Member
View media item 1554View media item 1555View media item 1556View media item 1557View media item 1558View media item 1559View media item 1486View media item 1553hey all- I've come across this pro reverb- The transformers/speakers date to 67-68. The chasis has a little silver cap over the serial number where the owner says the previous owner had put a master volume that he had his tech remove. I had actually been playing a blackface pro reverb a few days before stumbling across this one and this drip edge sounds just as good- I've been researching and it sounds like there's little if any difference between this and a blackface (correct me if I'm wrong). He's asking $1250, I like the amp, I just want to make sure it's a good investment. I've found prices ranging all over the place for blackface and silver face pro reverbs, and I'm no expert- so Im looking for some advice. Whats this worth?

Last edited:

markedman

I couldn't access your pictures. I think $1250 a bit high when it has been messed with if you're thinking about an investment quality Fender Amplifier. Investment quality would would be all original and look great. Bottom line; if you like it and have $1,250.00, buy it of course.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
As long as no new holes were drilled in the chasis, so what. The mod has been removed. That price is on the high end but not unreasonable for what I've seen pros go for, and what I've sold them for, provided:

1) The electrolytic caps have been replaced. This NEEDS to be done every 8 years or so. It's like changing the oil in your car. If not, knock off $200.

2) The glass is good. If it has the original tubes or some ancient tubes in it with the paint all flaked off, factor in another $120 or so to re-tube it. Old tubes were great..... when they were new. A few thousand hours later, not so much, and ancient power tubes are a short and blown transformer waiting to happen.

Rumble5

I can't see the pictures. $1250 is high for a SF, though a '67 should have the desirable AA165 circuit. As a point of reference, last year I got a '66 BF in very nice cosmetic condition, unmolested under the hood, with original speakers for $1400 shipped.

I think the Pro Reverb AA165 is one of the best Fender amps ever made, maybe second to only the 5E3 in my opinion. It gets the cleans of a BF Deluxe or Twin, but a bigger, warmer sound than the Deluxe. With the tube rectifier it has some of the sag associated with a tweed amp. And it breaks up better than just about any BF amp when pushed. At "7" or above on the dial it goes into Marshall territory like no other Fender amp I've ever heard, other than possibly an AB165 Bassman. Beautiful reverb and tremelo.

If you can get that amp for $1000 you'll have one of the best amps ever made at a reasonable price. If not you can find a nice SF for a grand.

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the input guys- sorry about the pictures- I think I fixed them. In the time that has passed since I started this thread the seller has taken my silence as me playing hardball and lowered the price to $1150- the prices for vintage fender stuff just seems to range all over the place, so I just don't know. I'd love to say "sounds good, I'll take it" but I need to buy stuff for a price close to what I can sell it for or I'll kick myself feeling like I wasted precious gear funds!

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
I thought drip edge stuff was pretty rare and valuable? Seems easily worth what he's asking. Nice to see those molded blue caps present, bet it sounds killer.

Two Steps

Silver Supporting Member
IIRC, those little white rectangle caps need to be removed by a tech - among other things - to take it back the the real Pro Reverb BF circuit. I bough an unmolested 68/69 that I took to Skip Simmons up here. He said that some circuits didn't change immediately with CBS, but the Pro Reverb got hit with an effort to keep it cleaner (hence those caps on the Power Tubes.

Mine was $1080 at the end of the day (cap job was done by Skip on behalf of GC essentially because the thing showed up essentially with oozing caps). Mine is not as pretty compared to yours but mine was just as unmolested internally.

Last edited:

Two Steps

Silver Supporting Member
I think it is still a tough market for Pro Reverbs...as that museum piece one has sat in the Emporium for months now.

zenas

http://images.craigslist.org/01010_4vjEpyRdV44_600x450.jpg

This one's been on the Fargo craigslist for ever. It's in nice shape and claims to be the BF circuit. It could be but only a dammed fool believes the tube cart ! (gut shots hello!)
He or she is asking 2,500.

In my warped mind that's too much for a silverface (even with BF guts) for that price I'll but one from when Leo still owned Fender.
If I gotta keep telling people "it's just like a blackface inside" I want to also say "but you can buy them for less."

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the input guys. Two step- yours looks pretty darn nice to me!

Zenas- that craigslist add is the same as the one on the emporium. It sure is nice to look at, whatever price they're asking!

zenas

Yeah that is a nice amp ! Didn't know it was on the emporium. It's a little over an hour away from me.
Don't get me wrong I'd love that amp but not for super nice blackface money. Heck 2,500 is getting into tweed money.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
I think it is still a tough market for Pro Reverbs...as that museum piece one has sat in the Emporium for months now.
Agree. Great looking piece, but the market is not buying that price. If it was local and $2k, I would have jumped at it.

Two Steps

Silver Supporting Member
^^^ I think rumble is spot on; well, he got a a good deal. I would assert ok ish 65-67's at $1500 and ok ish 68-69 at ~$1000. But again, like with mine, even the first year drip circuit will need to be cleaned up by a tech.

Regarding the tube chart, mine definitely says the holy grail circuit but that was just a remnant sheet from the blackface amps (aka it wasn't!).

Silver Supporting Member
Is there a definite difference between the black line drip edge and regular- I had read the black line came before. I guess that doesn't really matter, since two steps can just look at it and see changes that have been made from the blackface years? Anyway- Ive offered $1000. We'll see...

Two Steps

Silver Supporting Member
All the literature in the world can't explain tangible evidence in front of someone! I read and read everything Fender circuit info, and 30 seconds in front of Skip Simmons, he pointed to every departure from the original circuit.

And remember, forget all this romantic folklore of Fender perfection! I am a Fender guy tried and true, but that was a mom and pop shop. There is always weirdness and hodpodge things happening (e.g. Whatever parts are on hand), that can't be accounted for as doctrine.

OilsFan

Silver Supporting Member
If you get it for 1k you're doing good. $1150 is still OK if you want it.

Rumble5

Jason, it should be the same circuit as the one you're looking at. The differences should only be cosmetic, but an older one with BF cosmetics does change the value somewhat. I thought about changing the speakers but stupidly did not and blew the original Utahs. I replaced them with Greenback-style Webers which sound awesome. If you do end up with the one you're looking at and it has the original speakers, take them out, save them, and put in a pair that you can use and abuse without worrying about.

Trending Topics