How much should pedals weigh?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hank Linderman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Hank Linderman

Hank Linderman Supporting Member

Some pedals seem heavier than they need to be, a drag when you travel as airlines are cutting back on the maximum weight you can check in or carry. Some players like heavy pedals because they stay planted, weight "feels" like the pedal is higher quality.

Any thoughts? When you buy a pedal, do you notice the weight, is it a factor in your purchase?

Just curious.

Best....H

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I never purchase anything that weighs more than my guitar strap.

3. RickB

RickB Member

I think it is time that titanium cases are introduced into this whole thing. That should shave some of the weight off them!

4. D.G.

D.G. Member

Yeah, I've passed on the Tonecore line cause they are unnecessarily heavy. Since everything is getting velcroed to the board, the lighter the better. I've taken the Varidrive and V-Twin off my board and relegated them to recording duties only because of excessive weight as well.

5. loopjunkie

loopjunkie Member

I think a pedal should weigh what it takes to make it sound good no more no less.

6. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I never take weight into account, I mean, look at MI Audio pedals...
    Very light, heavy tone.

7. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

Aluminium is lighter than titanium, so that wont work. A nice 6Al/4V Titanium Alloy would be great looking and more durable at the least, but would still be a bit heavier than aluminum for the effort. Carbon fiber nanotubes anyone?

1 pound (440 grams) for the average aluminum stomper as rule including guts, manual and a shipping box.

8. RickB

RickB Member

:jo

9. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I believe that the answer to your question is .978 pounds (0.44361334 kilograms) precisely.

No more - no less.

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

That is a good question! We made out Chorus and Bicomp cases out of aluminum, it was expensive but I thought people would like it. But it felt a little too light to me... then we made the bottoms out of steel and the top from aluminum and it felt just right. And man they take the corners like they are on rails!

11. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

Tell the truth...The dual compound 100% Silica feet also add to the corner adhesion as well.

Carbon resistors must be the lightest...The name says it all...CARBON, yum!