How much speaker for a 15W amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OnlyVees, Feb 25, 2009.

1. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Member

I'm going to invest in an extension cabinet for my little 2 6V6 15-watt amp. How much cabinet is reasonable for this little thing? 1x12? 2x12? :huh

2. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Depends I guess what kind of tone you want but a 1x12 is definitely doable power-wise. An AC15 uses a 15 watt Celestion Blue with no problems. With more speakers, you are going to push more air and it should sound bigger. Heck, go with a 4x12!!!

3. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

I always double it. 15 watt amp = 30 watts of speaker/s.

Just make sure you watch the total ohm load....

4. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

A 15W amp can sound great from any number of 12" speakers:1x12,2x12,4x12. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, as long as you don't have to lug it around. If that's the case, I'd go 2x12.

5. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

I usually make sure the speaker can handle 150% of the amp's rated output. A decent speaker is usually rated conservatively, and tube amps don't present DC to the speaker when they clip like SS amps will, thus saving the voice coil alot of stress.

6. Bottle_Rocket

Bottle_Rocket Member

If you match the ohms than the more the merrier. Depends on how much you want to lug around.

Still a little speaker break up is cool. Twice the rated watts of the amp is a good rule of thumb. Depends on what you are going for.

7. Billm

Billm Member

If you run distorted tones, especially fuzz, your speaker's wattage should be at least double that of your amp. Beyond that, the wattage has little to do with the tone and breakup characteristics of the speaker. You can get fast-breakup speakers that will handle 50 or 100 watts these days.