How much sweet Strat neck pup tone comes from the trem bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tonefish, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

A recent Strat/Tele morphed guitar introduction got me thinking about whether or not this could really effectively be done successfully. So the renowned Tele bridge tone is expected to be indebted to the Tele bridgeplate configuration. And what about the sweet Strat neck tone? Since you can't do both hardtail and trem Strat configurations to the same guitar, has anyone played enought Strat hardtails to judge if that characteristic neck tone is still there?

I expect that a lot of players might claim that a clamped Strat block is close to the same thing, but probably not. While I know that has some effect, it probably really comes down to hardtail -v- trem block, clamped or floating.

So anyone who knows the Strat neck tone also played a bunch of hardtail Strats?

2. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

I haven't played a lot of hardtail strats, but I did play one the other night for a set on a gig. It was a custom build by a friend of mine, with Lollar blonde pickups. It sounded great on the neck pickup, just like a great strat should. Also FWIW, I had an Anderson tele without the traditional bridge plate, but with the tele bridge style pickup, and it had plenty of twang. Sounded like a tele to me. The GE Smith tele has the pickup screwed into the body with no bridge plate. I imagine he knows something about good tele tone.

3. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I hear yeah. It really makes you wonder just what does contribute to those "characteristic" tones in both the Strats and the Teles.

4. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

My main Strat for a long time was a hardtail. It's hard to describe the differences as it's more of a feel thing. The classic neck tone is there although it is a little different. I find the hardtail to have a bit more sustain and it seems to get to the fundamental of the note a little faster. I find the trem and springs contribute more overtones to the sound with the vibrations of the block and springs. Because of this the trem strat is a little bigger sounding to me with a little less point to the fundamental of the note.

Sorry to be so abstract but it's the best way I can put it. It's not a huge difference but it is there.

5. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

very good description...and I understand!:BEERthanks

6. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

My main Strat is a hardtail. I agree with KennyM's assessment. IMO, getting the sweet neck tone on any Strat is largely a matter of using scatterwound low-output pickups.

7. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Do you think the horns play into it too then, or there must be something else, otherwise you could just put that pickup on a Tele, couldn't you?:huh