• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How much to you really use?

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
Another thread veered off topic as they sometimes do and a subject was touched on that made me curious about something because I’ve asked myself this question as well.

First let me clarify I’m not saying a having a lot of options is always bad even though it can be depending on the situation and person. Also I know why manufacturers of modelers put so many options in the products and that’s to attract as wide of a customer base as possible so… again I’M NOT saying having a ton of options is always bad.

So….

Effects aside…. how many amps and cabs do you use a majority of the time? Like 70% or more of the time?

Last edited:

mike_m

I tend to use more amps then cabs. I have 3-4 cabs that I use most of the time (like 90%) unless I’m going for a specific sound. Amps I use a few more regularly, maybe 6-7. Still nowhere close to all the ones that Helix includes though

EDIT: part of the amp numbers is that a few of my go-to patches are multi amp setups.

sleewell2

my main sound is comp, boost, preamp sim and eq going out to the fx return on a tube amp and 4x12.

however my preset also has: chorus, delay, synth, reverb and pitch up and pitch down set to momentary switches.

thank goodness for snapshots.

dronerstone

Nowadays, for band practice:

Vantage Les Paul (1980, Matsumoku, a real player)
HX FX
DVP-1 (as an expression pedal)
Mosky Golden Horse
MXR Il Diavolo (alternative: Caline Zendrive clone, depending on my mood)
TC Spark Mini
Ampeg 120W solid state head (ported G412 chassis)
Boss Katana 2x12" Cab

At home:

Vantage Les Paul
HX FX + DVP-1
Into a Mooer Preamp Live
Cheap old Shure closed headphones

Don't try and remind me about the other 7 (?) guitars and truckload of amps I never use, let alone about 50 pedals, including some rare/discontinued ones...

I know, I know.

We all do. :D

Watt McCo

Supporting Member
Another thread veered off topic as they sometimes do and a subject was touched on that made me think curious about something because I’ve asked myself this question as well.

First let me clarify I’m not saying a having a lot of options is always bad even though it can be depending on the situation and person. Also I know why manufacturers of modelers put so many options in the products and that’s to attract as wide of a customer base as possible so… again I’M NOT saying having a ton of options is always bad.

So….

Effects aside…. how many amps and cabs do you use a majority of the time? Like 70% or more of the time?
Probably 4 amps; typically every few months I switch out with iteration of one or more of those 4 amps I'm using. When using IRs, I've got that down to 3. But most of my playing is through one real cab.

The problem with the "just the 4/6/8/10 basic amp flavors" approaches is...they rarely ever include more than one amp that would be my first choice for any of the flavors and...some months I like Bryers strawberry, others I go for Giffords strawberry.

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
I’m still exploring. On the Kemper, I have a folder of amp profiles for each (7) guitar. About 20 amps each. I’ve had the Kemper for (only) six months or so, so it’s relatively new, and I’m just slowly working toward figuring out what sounds are best for my gear and what I’m going to stick with long term.

I had been sticking to the profiles’ cabs, but recently started swapping between Kemper cab options, and then even more recently swapping in my own IRs, but I’m content with the cabs in the Kemper.

re: Kemper effects, I have a big pedalboard, so I rely mainly on Kemper effects for what I don’t have in hardware, which means mostly the basic modulation stuff I only occasionally want to fiddle with: phase, flanger, chorus, vibe.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
For gigging and recording; I use (different modelers), one amp. Varying shades of built in boost. Delay, verb and chorus as needed for atmospherics. Filter block or EQ for soloing. I use trumpets, sax, organ, acoustic, and saw synth tones from the GR.

I like having a set and forget modeler for recording (SY) and I like having the kitchen sink when I feel like "trying out a new amp" (FM).

how many amps and cabs do you use a majority of the time? Like 70% or more of the time?
It didn't used to be this way, but I've switched to using a dual amp setup like 98% of the time when playing at church. Reasons for doing that is that's how a lot of these guys get the tones they do: stereo pedalboard into the front of two amps on the edge. It went from being just a reasonable facsimile of the tone to dead on. Everything behaves differently now, in a good way.

For a different band or genre, I'd stick to one amp, one cab.

Edit: re-reading the question, are you saying how many amps or cabs out of the choices we have do I use? I think the answer is probably no more than 2 distinct amp types, and 1 or 2 IRs. That's it.

DieSchmalle

Technically the answer can only be zero or one amp and zero or one cab per person (unless one uses dual amps and/or cabs).
Zero and zero in my case.

bobluke

Most of the time I use 2 amps, 1 IR. 2 overdrives, 1 compresser and some of the synth effects.

Without all those options I probably would have settled on something not as good.

DontheMon

I have 6 or 7 cabs with different speakers (different size speakers as well) and I defintely swap them all out over the course of a year...I'd say the heads get more use than the combos but all my combos have jacks so...I like the amps I have but I really feel I'm all about speakers and cabinets and the different guitars...But probably the same 3 amps majority of the year and cabs switched out every 2 months....I defintely like to listen to my equipment and see what's possible and what isn't and try to play in those areas...I might get to "the one" one day though but this is what pleases me...I do make my own cabs so not sure that's part of it...probably have 2 or 3 amps I should jettison and maybe 1 cab...

LaXu

I've gone from having 200+ amp models in an Axe-Fx 2 down to having 4 on a Yamaha THR100HD without losing any of the core tones I normally use. In a similar vein I can be happy playing through the right single channel amp with a few pedals for flavor. I find that I tend to dial in pretty much the same tones out of anything.

Realistically I probably use a handful of amp models and IRs on my FM3. It's nice to explore things as sometimes you find an amp model that does things you like and it certainly beats endless GAS cycles of buying and selling gear. But if Fractal suddenly got fed up with all the "add amp model X" requests and deleted 90% of the roster in the FM3, I think I would still be fine.

James Freeman

I usually go for 1 amp for clean and 1 amp for distortion and 1-2 IRs, and that's about it for my signal chain in the Helix, I'm a direct to amp player 95% of the time.
I have no idea why I'm into modelers in the first place.... portability?

hobbes1

I use (not necessarily at the same time or in the same preset) 1-2 Marshall sims, 1-2 Matchless sims, Hiwatt sim and maybe 5-6 different IRs (or no IR if going into a physical cab). Sometimes for fun, I will try Litigator or Trainwreck sim or Voltage Queen in the Helix. I have been using Jay Mitchell's latest IRs lately and they are nice and seem to work well for a variety of styles/amps.
For Bass, mostly Ampeg SVT or SVT pro sim or Darkglass sim in Helix. With or without (Ampeg model) IRs.

Lately, I have also been using the Acoustic Sim in Helix. It's not perfect but sure is fun, convenient and I like the sound for the most part.

RevDrucifer

A lot.

The music I write is anywhere from a straight Floyd rip off to modern metal stuff and I love pretty much all guitar tones, so in the studio, I'll dial in a new preset for just one section of music or an overdub, even if I never use it again for anything. That was the biggest selling point with Fractal stuff with me and all the amps offered.

Live, I'll probably keep it fairly simple, depending on what I'm doing. There's a ton of stuff in Austin Buddy's Live Gold pack that I'd have no problem staying on one preset all night in a cover gig and wouldn't use more than 2-3 amps with 2-3 different IR's.

JJ321

The patch that I use 99% of the time has 4 amps in it. The cab block has a bunch of different cabinets in it, but I use the same two York Audio cabs for everything in that patch.

mdubya

I go round and round and round, changing up every few days or so.

The only bad thing is, I end up modifying my favorites until they sound almost the same.

Sure is fun, though.

Stuck in a rut? Scroll and scroll until something different sparks an idea.

I love it.

I especially love trying all the different types of models I would never get to play or try to own in real life; Friedman, Diezel, Bogner, Mesa Rectifiers, Dumbles and Trainwrecks and their boutique clones, vintage tweeds with splashy spring reverbs added, tremolo, fuzz, tape delay, univibe, jet flangers, vintage speakers of all types, rack preamps, it goes on and on and on.

AX8 user. Never, ever bored. :aok

Brooks

I use the Plexi model on my Pod Go 95% of the time, and the Deluxe or JC120 models every once in awhile. When I 1st got it, I tried messing with lotsa different amp models, FX, and snapshots, but now I prefer to run it like a "Plexi w/ a pedalboard" (tubescreamer/EQ/comp/delay/phase/wha), out thru a Bam200 mini amp and various Marshall cabs. I have only done a few recordings with it, recorded direct using the 4x12 IR that came stock with the Go.

I also use a few small practice amps (w/ built in delay) alone at home or work, and with a Ditto looper on solo restaurant gigs.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom