How much will a blackstone change my life?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sid, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid Member

I have one of the most severe cases of GAS right now....and I just feel like getting a blackstone...for no apparent reason.....

with a timmy,screwdriver,dyna red...will the blackstone really add something valuable to my od collection???

OR should i get what i need and buy a dd-20....gotta cure the gas somehow:dude

2. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

It takes a while to get the right settings but once you do you can have two wonderful tones (3) if you count clean avalable. If I could only have one pedal it is the one I would keep bar none. It is one of the most responsive and "amp" like pedals I have ever tried. Personally I think it is amazing and the build quality and design is truly great as well.

3. Sid

Sid Member

thanks how does it compare to the timmy

4. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

If you buy a Blackstone you will become rich beyond your wildest dreams, sail to exotic locales, jam with rock stars, date supermodels, race high performance sports cars, play golf with heads of state, ..., and perhaps get a marginally better OD tone than you have right now.

5. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

A lot of people love the Timmy without a doubt. I've had two and sold them both but the Blackstone has stayed...it is my only OD now.

The Brown side gives you a sound that is "somewhat" similar to a Timmy when used for light/medium OD or dirt though I found the Timmy more "grainy". The RED channel gets a lot more saturated, almost distortion but with rounded edges...kind of like an Allman Brothers lead tone.

The Blackstone can really cop a wide array of classic rock tones from AC/DC, Kansas, Boston, Bad Company and the Who depending on guitar. It also is one pedal that sounds really great even through a totally clean tranny amp. Not sure how it would sound with an already overdriven tube amp...probably over the top. Sounds great going into a clean channel.

Note that to get a great sound the Blackstone REALLY needs to be first in line and in the unbuffered mode...this gives you the same kind of clean up that you get with a great germ fuzz like a SunFace NKT275. In fact, the combination of the Sun Face -> Blackstone is incredible as they are both really responsive to guitar volume changes....tones of different tones available with the two. Other pedals can make the Blackstone sound like dog-doo when put in front...phasers especially.

6. Sid

Sid Member

u had me till the golf thing...apparently its a boring pedal:rolleyes:

7. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

It will add some dynamics. Blackstone cleans up better than just about anything I have tried short of a couple of Ge fuzzface clones.

8. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Depends upon whether or not you're into golf. I don't play myself, but I've heard it can be a very addictive sport. A lot of guys can think about nothing else except planning their next opportunity to play 9 or 18 holes. Golf nuts include rock stars Alice Cooper and Eddie Van Halen.

I guess my humorous response was par for the course.

9. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Yep, great pedal. Very amp like.

I love it at low volumes since it's so amp like. Roll off on the guitar volume, and it cleans up, etc.

10. Sid

Sid Member

hehe yea my dad's one of em....

bores me to death tho...probably when i get too old to move fast....

11. Sid

Sid Member

I still havent figured out the whole signal chain with the blackstone thing....

if i have a buffer in chain? the blackstone gets affected?if i have a compressor before it? it gets affected

ps.how can you tell apart the different versions

12. 6789

6789 Member

13. Sid

Sid Member

14. 6789

6789 Member

The front plate has letters and numbers telling which version it is and inside the pedal it has numbers righ ton the circuit board.

I believe the buffer thing is this - it has two settings. one setting gives better clean up when you roll down the guitar volume or pick lighter. With this setting, it is best when the Blackstone is the first pedal the guitar plugs into.

The other setting is the buffered setting. It may not clean up as well, but lets you put the Blackstone after other pedals.

15. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

If your the type of player that is really into dynamics then a blackstone will definately add value to your OD collection! This pedal simply plays like an amp, and is VERY expressive. C,mon, you know your case of GAS won't pass untill you get one. :cool:

16. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i have a blackstone and a timmy. i just got the blackstone in trade and have been playing it non-stop. i've never played an OD pedal that cleans up as well as the blacksone with the gtr volume. i gotta say that i'm liking the blackstone more than the timmy because, to my ears, it sounds more natural and amp-like. BUT, the timmy is more versatile with the EQ knobs. i'll likely use the blackstone as my main OD and use the timmy after it for a boost....

it's definitely worth checking out....

17. rockford

rockford Member

Question for blackstone users: is there a lot of variation in the " different" versions, or is it because people have'nt take the time to dial in the settings ?

18. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Not to discourage you, but I had a Blackstone V3 and really didn't care for it. It seemed to have a low-mid emphasis similar to older classic rock bands like Boston, etc. Also, the top end seemed bright and fizzy to me. Maybe it was just my setup, but I was comparing it against a lot of other pedals that sounded great next to it.

But i have heard great clips from other rigs, so who know?