how much would a 67' fender champ be worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lancerontrack, Jul 9, 2008.

1. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

looks like its in really good condition, new tubes, 3 prog cord, weber speaker. how much is it worth and how much value do u think it will collect over the years?

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

About $350-$450, without seeing it. Not having the original speaker affects the value a bit. As for how much it will collect over the years, maybe some, maybe none. The market right now is on the down side, so hopefully it will go up and the amp might gain a few hundred bucks over the next ten years or so. But then again, it might not go up at all. No one can say for sure.

3. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

maybe this will help. has NOS tubes and the original speaker. original speaker just not installed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

That's a gorgeous little amp. I have a SF Champ. I paid $400 for mine a couple years ago, if that helps.

5. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

guy i bought it from had it fully serviced and everything. replaced it with a weber speaker but has the original speaker thats is great conidition hes sending me too.

6. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

What's he asking for it? I gotta think he wants at least $500, and IMHO it's well worth it. If he wants less, snap it up! If not, I'll take it!

7. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

i just bought it off ebay for $600 shipped. it was the best looking / best condition one i saw.

8. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

heres the desciption

This auction is for my very clean & excellent sounding 1967 Fender Champ. The amp is in very good cosmetic & electronic shape. It is in need of no service I'm aware of & idles nice & quiet, just like it should. I am not only including the original Oxford 8" speaker (which is in perfect shape) but also a Weber 8" AlNiCo '8s' speaker that I bought in order to enjoy the amp without worrying about pushing the 40+ year old original speaker. The Weber also handles being cranked better & "farts out" less. I re-tubed the amp as the previous owner was using new production tubes that were merely okay. I am using a NOS Mazda/Cifte 5Y3GB rectifier tube which is a '50s French Military tube known to be excellent choice for Champs due to it's indirectly heated cathodes. It means the amp comes on slowly, almost like having a "standby" switch! :) For the power tube I'm using a NOS Marconi 6V6G which is similar to an RCA blackplate. Fantastic, warm tube. For the 12AX7 I'm using a new production Tung Sol re-issue which I've found I like even better than the NOS GEs & JAN Philips I've tried. All together, the tubes & speaker would cost about $135 & I feel they really add to this amp's playability & character. The only "mod" I performed on the amp was to replace the original 2-prong power cord with a modern 3-prong grounded cord. I did this the right way & removed the "death cap" so there is no danger of it shorting B+ to the chassis. Good stuff. The amp comes with a custom fit vinyl dust cover to protect the amp when moving around or when being stored. Though this amp is probably the cleanest black face Champ I've seen in a while, it does have a few very minor dings & nicks that are very forgivable for an amp this old. Nothing of note except a snag in the tolex about the size of a pencil eraser. I touched it with a black sharpie & it's now VERY easy to forget. If you're looking for a vintage Fender Champ that is a 100% player as it sits & still looks pretty enough to make you go "oooh" & "ahhh" every time you plug in this is it! Please feel free to contact me if you have any more detailed questions - I'm a gearhead myself and totally understand!!! Good luck with bidding.

Edit - Added more/different pictures to show the amps excellent condition. Due to interest in higher resolution images, I've created a Picasa album for this auction. If you would like to view it, please contact me and I will provide you the link.

Edit # 2 - I was asked a question (see below) about the age/date of the amp & thought I'd provide specifics for those of you who are curious. :) Also, it was mentioned that I've under priced the amp. This may be true as a VibroChamp in slightly cleaner shape (mint) just sold for nearly $1100. That said, I think this price is more in line with the prices I've seen these go for in the last few years, and I'm not representing this as 100% mint collector material. I hope it will go to a home where it is played regularly and enjoyed.

Chassis Stamp - A12355
    PT - 606-6-52 (52nd week of 1966)
    OT - 606-7-19 (19th week of 1967)
    Tube Chart - QH (August 1967)
    Pots - 1st EIA # is covered with solder
    304-66-18 (18th week of 1966)
    304-66-32 (32nd week of 1966)

9. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

10. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

so did $600 shipped seem fair now?

11. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

SOunds more than fair to me. You got yourself a beauty! Congrats.

12. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

BTW - I'd love to hear it if you ever get a chance to make and post some clips?

13. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

i might just have to do that.

14. biggreen

biggreen Member

Nice amp, but that is a bit more than fair market considering you could get a 67 vibro Champ for that price. However, I am sure you will love it.

15. allynmey

allynmey Member

Lancer, that is a beauty! If you feel you paid a fair amount for it and have no regrets then it is a great deal! Congrats on your find.:cool:

16. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

i know i would never really use the vibro feature. i was looking at one but something kept telling me to get this one. i guess we'll see

17. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

My '65 Champ is one of my favorite amps ever. Wonderful sounding amp. The amp looks to be in really good condition. It has some quality tubes, a good Weber speaker, and the original speaker. I think the price is a tiny bit high, but fair. I can't say much as I paid $525 for mine two years ago. I don't regret it cause I got 'a good one.'

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  18. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

thanks guy. i started out really looking at the 70's champs and thinking ok im only going to spend $400, but after doing alot of comparing i just fell for this amp. it just felt right

19. opdev

opdev Member

I just sold a mint 1966 (collector quality) one for $550 to a friend. I'd try and get $600+ for it on the bay.

20. Gene

Gene Member

I paid 260 for my 66 champ. Great amp. Recorded some of my tracks from my upcoming album with it. I saw it going for 1000 bucks at GC here in NYC.