• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How much £ would I need to spend to get a decent laptop for recording guitar?

crispsandwich

Hello,

Having recently sold my Axe FX II, I am looking to go either the iPad or PC/laptop route for recording/mixing guitar.

I was pretty set on the iPad route, but to be honest none of the clips I have heard have convinced me that it will run software capable of sounding as good as GR5, S-Gear etc. BIAS looks amazing, but the sounds I have heard so far haven't blown me away.

So, assuming I went the laptop route (it would need to be laptop, ideally), how much money would I need to spend to get a laptop capable of running VSTs smoothly and a decent audio interface? I don't need one with loads of I/O options or phantom power or anything, this is for guitar only.

My current laptop is 3 years old, has a Pentium 6100 processor and could run one or two VSTs at a time in Reaper. Any more than that, however, and there would be pops and clicks galore.

Cheers.

dconeill

Silver Supporting Member
If I were you, first I would determine what software I wanted to use for the recording. Once I knew what software I wanted, I'd review the manuals to find out what the system requirements were for each application. Then I'd buy the PC that met or exceeded those requirements.

DGChaos

My current laptop has 4 GB of RAM and an i7 second generation quad core processor. I bought it over two years ago for around $500 to 600.

It has served me really well as a guitar processor. Sometimes, while recording, I run Th2, Lepou's Plug-ins, RedWirez IRs, Battery 3/Superior Drummer 2, Reason 5 all the same time on Reaper without any noticeable issues.

I've even used my laptop live with guitar rig and an audio interface. Worked nicely, but I went ahead to get the Boss GT 100 for the live stuff later on.

I usually store everything on an external 1TB hard-drive.

DGChaos

And also my audio interface is the Roland Quad Capture. I quite like its pre-amps compared to other offerings at similar prices. I think I bought it for around $200-300? I've also heard great things about Focusrite's stuff.

So altogether, maybe it will be around $600 to 800 on the low side?

Badside

I was doing this with a Pentium 4 and 1Gb of RAM. Pretty much any new laptop with a Core series processor will do it. But an i7 is of course a better bet.
Do keep budget for the audio interface, they have a lot of impact on how much latency you can expect.

I'm using a Roland like the guy above me (Octa Capture in my case) and have been quite well served. The high-Z input sounds much better than it did on my Mackie 400F.

DGChaos

I'm using a Roland like the guy above me (Octa Capture in my case) and have been quite well served. The high-Z input sounds much better than it did on my Mackie 400F.

Great interface. Not as popular as some others, but definitely really good.

Badside

Great interface. Not as popular as some others, but definitely really good.
Seriously! My vocal and drum tracks have never sounded so clear and transparent. Bass guitar tracks found new depths that I never heard before.

And they make their "Capture" series in every sizes imaginable. It's just a great all around device.

forum_crawler

Hello,

Having recently sold my Axe FX II, I am looking to go either the iPad or PC/laptop route for recording/mixing guitar.

I was pretty set on the iPad route, but to be honest none of the clips I have heard have convinced me that it will run software capable of sounding as good as GR5, S-Gear etc. BIAS looks amazing, but the sounds I have heard so far haven't blown me away.

So, assuming I went the laptop route (it would need to be laptop, ideally), how much money would I need to spend to get a laptop capable of running VSTs smoothly and a decent audio interface? I don't need one with loads of I/O options or phantom power or anything, this is for guitar only.

My current laptop is 3 years old, has a Pentium 6100 processor and could run one or two VSTs at a time in Reaper. Any more than that, however, and there would be pops and clicks galore.

Cheers.
Anything with an i7 series or comparable AMD plus 8-16GB and USB3.0 support will be enough. I think anything between 600~1000 should give you that. Just a matter of what other things matter to you.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom