how much would WILDWOOD guitars deal with you on new guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SW33THAND5, Feb 2, 2012.

1. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

...from your experience?

how firm are their price? what can i expect?

(you can PM me if you prefer...):munch

help out a brother. i am close to pulling the trigger on one.

2. Quartertank

Quartertank Member

in my experience, it depends entirely on the make/model. there is more room on gibson's because their MAP is ludicrously high. on special runs like the WW10 strats, there is very little negotiating room.

3. patentcad

patentcad Member

$6K for an R9 my local music store wants $4500 for.

Uh huh.

Let's hope they get real when you call them.

4. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

what about WW spec les pauls (custom historic) thanks for you response BTW:hiP

5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

good thread...I've always wondered what their cushion room is

6. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I got a discount ofclose to $500. on a wildwood 10

7. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

I got a paltry $150 off a $6k Wildwood spec R0. Probably the worst deal I've had in 25 years, but one of the best guitars I've ever owned so no regrets. :)

8. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I pm'd you but you didn't reply. Good luck! Wildwood treated me right in the past.

9. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Depends on the guitar...if it's the lightest, prettiest R9 in the store, not much. Why would they? I used to live close to the store and got some GREAT deals.

10. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Wilwood has one of the best customer service in the industry. However their price is less than great. It's reasonable at best.

11. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

They'll match advertised prices, other than that there is really no wiggle room with them. I DID get $100 off a Strat I ordered recently, but only because I was a bonehead and waited too late for the instant rebate fender was offering. Bruce was kind enough to knock the $100 any way, he didn't HAVE to, but he did.

12. Patrick2

Patrick2 Member

I bought 2 R9s and a Historic reissue '63 ES335 from Wild Wood Guitars. I'm sure I paid more for them then I would have if I shoppped and shopped and shopped. But, I seriously doubt I would have been happier with the people and the process. The 335 was preowned. I spend at least an hour total time on several calls regarding the guitar. By the time I pulled the trigger, I knew so much about the guitar I almost felt as if I was in the store trying it out live. That kind of attention to detail and customer sensitivity is worth something too. I bought my 2002 R9 brand new, in 2002. If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago) I dealt with Lance on all three guitars. I wish I knew how to post pictures here. The 2002 is just an all around fantastic guitar. Killer flame and flame with character, not just straight fiddle back lines, great burst, 8.8 lbs on the nose, as weighed at a local UPS shipping center on a digital scale. Lance personally went through about 11 such guitars that he had in stock at the time. Told me if it wasn't what I'd hoped for, to send it back and he would choose another or refund my money. I have no regrets in paying a bit more for that type of customer intimacy.

Just a word to the wise for those of you who seek to squeeze every bit of the seller's profit out of a deal . . . if you do so, don't realistically expect the during and after sale support that is so important when purchasing an instrument worth thousands of dollars. You can find other places as good as Wild Wood Guitars . . . but, in my opinion, you'll find none better. No affiliation here . . . they aren't a Heritage dealer . . . I'm just a very satisfied customer.

13. belair

belair Member

+1 to this.

At least on Gibson Historics, they will do their best to hang right at MAP. You might get a smidge off that, but not much. Be sure to check the guitar serial numbers for date of manufacture. I got around $500. off MAP last year on a Historic and was really proud of myself-until I realized the guitar was two years old! They should have told me but then again, I should have known...

14. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Truer words were never spoken. Wildwood customers never have to deal with "QC issues".

15. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

What about their used inventory? Do their advertised prices factor in weasel room?

16. crgtr

crgtr Supporting Member

Wildwood was almost $600 cheaper than GC on a PRS I bought. But in GC's defense, they did price match!

17. Patrick2

Patrick2 Member

There always some room in all deals . . . everywhere. But, some people overestimate just how much wiggle room there is. I believe all dealers "pack" their price points to account for the astute negotiator. . . and I consider myself to be extremely skillful in the art of negotiating. However, I enter all negotiations with the understanding that . . "if it ain't a good deal for both parties . . . then it ain't a good deal." That's the philosophy that led to the phrase "win-win".

18. patentcad

patentcad Member

If you like the guitar and it's a keeper, it won't matter that much. Rt. 66 Guitars and Marks' Guitar Loft have slightly used (i.e. 'as new') killer R9's and R0's all day long for $4500-$5200, those are the sites I haunt. If my local dealer ever gets one in I can buy a new one for mid 4's, but now that Gibson is allegedly not making R9's or R0's for 2012, all bets are off.

That's pretty stupid. Hey, it's Gibson. Great guitars, nutty owner.

19. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

Marks Guitar Loft worked with me on prices of a couple of LP R9s which in the end I didn't buy because I wasn't knocked out with the tops but still. He also sold me my all time favorite amp, a 1987 JCM800 2204 and I think all I got knocked off was the shipping price but it was an amp well known by Mark personally and turned out great. Dave's offered free shipping on my new '61 Thin Skin Strat and that's all I was going to get from Wildwood. All I can say is these axe's are killer if you can afford them and these two shops that carry them have plenty of others to choose from if the one they send you ain't cutting it for whatever reason. I'm still floored and digging my new Strat more every time I plug her in! Great service is worth a couple bucks more IMO.

20. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

your turn:waiting