• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How my rig changed my car (not a parody)

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Karl's thread about changing his rig because of a car wreck got me thinking about my latest vehicle choice about a year and a half ago. My previous two vehicles (Honda CR-V & VW Passat station wagon) were purchased with an eye toward hauling stuff, guitar gear in particular.

About a year and a half ago, when I was starting to contemplate buying a new car, I realized that my cargo requirements had diminished considerably. While my guitar and pedalboard were about the same size, the "amp" and "cab" had scaled down considerably. I no longer cared if my car could carry a half stack because my rig was smaller than it had been since my college days playing through a GK ML250.

Thus (somewhat) freed from the shackles of utility, I was able broaden my vehicle search and indulge my midlife a bit and get a little red number. It's no longer a new car (approaching 19K miles) but it's been a lot more fun than my VW or Honda ever was. :) With four doors and AWD, it's still a "married guy car" but oh well.

wpawley

You are going down in size, looks like I need to go up in size. Seems that the more I play, the more gear I have to haul around. My mid-size SUV (Chevy Trailblazer) is starting to get a bit cramped.

I no longer cared if my car could carry a half stack because my rig was smaller than it had been since my college days playing through a GK ML250.
We must have been in college near the same time. I gigged a GK250ML through college also. What a great little amp! And fitting a guitar, pedalboard, and amp in the trunk with room for a whole bunch of other stuff? Priceless!

Cool car!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Love the British flag on your roof Alec!

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
It's all good. One of the criteria I always used to use was that any car I owned had to fit my 412 cab in the trunk.

I moved on from that around 2007 and went a bit more modular and modeler based. Now?

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Zoom-Zoom. :)

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
We must have been in college near the same time. I gigged a GK250ML through college also. What a great little amp! And fitting a guitar, pedalboard, and amp in the trunk with room for a whole bunch of other stuff? Priceless! Cool car!
Thanks!

I still have the GK. I once tried running my AxeFx through its return. Sadly, those 5" speakers weren't up to the task. The speaker sim on the GK's XLR out was pretty good. I would run it through the PA with great results.

Badside

I've rented many cars for my gigs, the biggest being the Dodge Charger (a few times that one)

Nothing beats the trunk of my Sentra 2013! Fit my whole tube amp rig (with an oversized 2X12) including 2 guitars.

lspaulsp

Platinum Supporting Member
In 1976 I bought a Starfire GT (not my first car) instead of a Cilica because it was as though they designed the car around my 4x12 cab. Everything fit in the car nicely.
After many problems, I sent Oldsmobile a long congratulatory letter for designing the worlds first 'disposable car". They didn't like that. I got a phone call. So did my (car) dealer.

Top Bottom