How noisy is a blues jr at idle?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by flavorengine, Jan 15, 2008.

1. flavorengine

flavorengine Member

i'm considering buying one of these, but i've heard they are noisy. I understand that it's not an issue at gig levels, but i want to be able to practice and not be bothered by hum when not being played.

i know it's all relative, so i'll say that i have a Reverend Kingsnake that is very quiet at idle AND does 60 watts.

i play clean mostly.

what's your opinion?

2. petromalt

petromalt Member

I've had one for a few years now and have never had any noise problems from the amp that weren't related to noisy tubes.

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

+1 on all of that. Great amp. I even gig with it over my DRRI.

ps - i even run it with the master almost wide open.

4. frank62

frank62 Member

These amps are finally getting the respect they deserve. Mine is quiet. JJ tube set, Greenback, and a Sound Enhancer. This rig will stand up with the best of them.

5. madscientist

madscientist Member

My Blues Jr. was my #1 for a while (until I was introduced to this place, and now I have a Blackbird). With new tubes (I highly recommend JJ's), you should get a better tone response and any idle noise should be next to nothing. I put a Emi Swamp Thang in it and it had a pretty good tone, with decent bass response, if you turned down the mids.

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

It depends on the amp. Some of the power transformers hum like crazy. You just have to try them until you find a quiet one.

7. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

Mine is not noisy at all. I get pretty good tones out of it. I replaced the tubes & changed the speaker to a Greenback.

Mark

8. plygtar

plygtar Member

I think the Blues Jr is a great deal because they are readily available so you can get a good deal on a used one. It's very portable. It's relatively inexpensive (used) so no worry if damaged, lost, or stolen. Very easy and low maintanenance with only a few tubes. I got a USA made one off Ebay for under 200 bucks in vg condition that the seller said had a problem when it only needed a fresh set of tubes. However, I proceeded to do some of Bill M's mods on it. The mods were simple to do and well worth it to reduce the over hot bias on the power tubes and hum in the reverb circuit besides reshaping the tone curve alittle. It is a quiet amp with nice tone.

9. hbentley

hbentley Member

a buddy has one...it's extremely quiet.

10. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I have a quiet one too.. It's my backup/rehearsal amp.. I played it recently after a few months of being idle and I had forgot how sweet this amp can sound. Especially the reverb.. Sounds as good or better then my Super Reverb -- just doesn't sound as big!

11. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

Mine is completely stock and quiet. Very good, snappy blackface tones, at decent volume, and it's portable, reliable, and inexpensive. Overall, a great value, IMHO.

12. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I have two and they are very quiet. Unlike my pro jnr.