1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How noisy is the Super Chile Picoso?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek2615, Mar 20, 2006.

1. derek2615

derek2615 Member

I need a good clean boost that I can leave on all of the time. I'll be running it just a little louder than unity. I'll be running off of a PP2+ isolated circuit.

I like the Bass/Treble on the RC Booster but everybody seems to really love their SCP. Opinions?
    Thanks for any info.

2. msp

msp Member

i was actually considering those two as well

i'll be ready to purchase here in a week and really couldn't make up my mind

there was another option that i previously owned and giged with for years: the SHO

it was quiet and full sounding (a little bit on the bright side but i liked that)

i would love to hear any comments from the peanut gallery

3. b_rad

b_rad Member

The SCP is a fantastic little pedal. Definitely one of the most natural sounding boosts out there.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

SCP is awesome. If you have noise going into it, it will make it louder. Doesn't add any noise of its own. I use it after my ISP decimator, and my amp still sounds like it's off when the ISP and SCP are activated

5. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I found the SCP to be quieter than the SHO with my gear.

I liked the SCP better all the way round I guess.

6. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Supporting Member

It's a great clean boost, but if you use it with a power cord you mayget some noise. I had one of the earlier ones and it had noise issues when not using a battery.

7. derek2615

derek2615 Member

UnkleSlam,

One complaint I had read was about the paint and decals on the earlier versions coming off. Is it true all of the new ones are powder coat and silk screened? Are the ones you have in stock powder coated?

Derek

8. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Anybody have a "new" model powered by an AC adaptor? Have you noticed any hum/noise?

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I've had one for a little over a year, dead quiet with the PP2

Brett

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use mine (one with tolex covering, older version but not too old) with a godlyke. Dead silent

11. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

This thread title reminds me of a Rovean Push-Poll!!??!

All SCP's new to old have and had power jacks. With an exception to a handful of them that were handpainted. Noise is dependant on your environment, got computers, florenscent lights and other stompboxes that are noisy the SCP will amplify that. The SCP is an amplifier plain and simple. All precautions have been taken to prevent it's generation of noise internally.

All Catalinbread pedals are powdercoated as of late 2005.

Anyway I appreciate your interest in the SCP. I am certain it will excede your expectations!

Best Regards,

N

12. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

No noise, and I have 10 other pedals in front of it.

Jan

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I use a late 2005 model SCP with a Cioks Baby power supply with 7 other pedals on my board. I've found the SCP adds no noise itself at all. You'll just have to remember when things get distorted and overdriven there's always gonna be some noise, but that's just natural.

14. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Thanks Nic. If it's half as good as people around here say then I'll be happy. Without a way to "Try before you buy", I have to be careful when purchasing new pedals. One ore two negative posts had planted that seed of doubt so I needed some reassurance. I don't see many of the SCPs show up on ebay. I wonder why? Hmmm... :rolleyes:
    Thanks again.

15. el34power

el34power Member

It seems that i am the only one to find it a little noisy if you use it as your first pedal...anyways, i ordered a crystal from goodie, quieter IMO. At that price i had too, glad i did. Put this after my Crunch box for leads oh yeah.

http://goudiefx.com/index.php

16. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

If I don't have a dealer in your area yet talk to any of our current dealers. I know most of my dealers wanna get customers THE RIGHT box for their needs (even if that is NOT a Catalinbread box). So email them or call them and be specific about your needs ask in advance if you can swap within a short time period. Don't be a total tire kicker you know that is not fair! But if you are up front they will be more than happy to work with you until your needs are met!

I've been watching Ebay for years now. I am not so sure there is an obvious correlation among what you find on ebay, market flooding, cultural shifts, and/or overall value of the item. It is just one of those things that has given some power to the consumer without access to the secret bluebook values. And when sometimes somebody whom really wants a Moog Analog Delay will bid $1K over market value just to get it. I've given up trying to make sense out of candlestick charts and scatterplots. Everytime I just trust my gut instinct things work out right. Doesn't mean shoot from the hip or anything, just go with your instinct! My dealers and I will make it as painless for you as possible! :D