How often do you change your pedalboards?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Barnzy, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I look at the pedalboard threads and wonder if people still have the same setup or if they have changed things up. I'm always curious about others gear habits! I have too many pedals to use all at once, and I like to switch it up anyway...so my pedalboard is always rotating. I will configure it for each gig or practice/jam based on my mood I guess. Anyone else like this? Or do you "set it and forget it? Somewhere in the middle? How do you manage your pedals/pedalboard options?

2. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

For a lot of years I don't have a pedal board. I mostly did home recording so I just assembled what I needed. As life happened and my available recording time shrank, I put together a board to minimize setup time/maximize recording time. Its pretty stable but I have made small changes to improve the transparency and I leave space between pedals so a swap doesn't require a complete redesign of the board. Its all about efficiency at this point

3. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

4. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

I think most of what we see was put together for the main purpose of photographing and posting on tgp.

Sometimes boards won't even be wired bf being posted online.

I change mine sometimes when I decide to play a different amp every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. stephanar

stephanar Member

I've found that when I'm gigging regularly, I'm usually happier with what I have and focus on playing and getting things to work. When I'm mostly playing at home (like now), I want it all. I sell a lot of equipment, trade, etc... But I think that doesn't happen only to me.
    It's all about spending energy. If you are playing with another people, you have to focus a lot in your playing, what others are playing, keeping the beat, etc. In your bed, you have much more energy and attention to those small details that probably wouldn't make a difference in a live environment.

6. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I'll often switch out a pedal or two, but I'll rarely make drastic changes.

7. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I'll redo my entire board, like going from a PT Mini to a PT Jr, or a PT Jr to a PT-2, or something like that maybe once every couple of years. But I'd say that maybe once or twice a month I'll add or remove or switch out a pedal or two. Usually dirt pedals although right now I'm removing a Rogue Tremolo and a Mooer Funky Monkey and replacing both with a Mooer Mod Factory.

And last week I removed a Mooer Hustle Drive and Catalinbread Fn5 and replaced them with an Xotic SL and a Biyang Mad Driver.

And sometimes I'll go months without changing anything at all.

8. tronus

tronus Member

I have a few boards going from small, medium, to medium-large. I've just sort of amassed them over the past six years. I basically just populate one as needed for whatever playing situation I'm headed off to. In the meantime I just practice through an amp and pull out a pedal or two if I need a lead tone or something like that.

9. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I'm a huge pedalboard nerd. I rearrange my board to accommodate new acquisitions regularly. Worse yet, ever since I bought my first digital camera back around 2000 - 2001 I've recorded each change in a photograph. All those photos are stored in a powerpoint file sequentially just for fun. It's fun to scroll through them all really fast! I did mention I was a nerd, right?

10. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

I used to change mine monthly but I was never happy with my sound hence why I kept changing it.. Then I tried just keeping what I had and working with it to learn how everything interacts and works and now a few months later I could not be happier with my sound and get nervous about even adding anything new

11. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Weekly. My wife laughs at the sound of Velcro separating.

12. tronus

tronus Member

Haha awesome! That's like those parents snapping a pic of their kid everyday for years. You should make one for your board! I'm a huge pedal board nerd too so that would be pretty fun to watch.

13. tronus

tronus Member

Hahah... I've become self conscious about that noise whenever I visit home and spend a few hours alone in a room making velcro sounds.

14. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

For me it is about every three years that I will make a change, but when I do, it is somewhat drastic. I joined TGP just recently because I'm in the midst of a major change. The order has not changed for 6 years and don't plan on changing the order. I've got a mini grab and run board, but it is minimal and someday I will probably just upgrade it in quality. I have found after being here for a short time, that there is a lot of pedal knowledge from everyone's experimentation. Good stuff.

15. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

Light changes every 5-6 months or so, like pedal placement/order.

But I do a pretty big overhaul maybe once a year.

16. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

That's hilarious! My wife is the same...she can't understand why I'm always swapping those little metal boxes around!

17. jordane93

jordane93 Member

When I first started getting into gear, I would buy something new like every two weeks. It was pretty much just trial and error as I didn't really know what I was looking for and didn't know what was out there. After about a year I figured out which pedals I liked and what kind of sound I was looking for and pretty much solidified my pedal choices with a few changes here and there. I occasionally change my board but I never feel the need to overhaul the entire thing. I'm really satisfied with my drive section and compressor and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

18. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

This pretty much describes me. Except for the photo part. :)

19. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I quit trying to keep it clean or tie things down. It changes constantly.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Almost never. Find a rig I like that sounds good and fits in my band mixes. Then stick with it.