How often do you change your strings?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tomkatzz, Jun 4, 2008.

1. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

The guy that sold me my last guitar said I should change my strings every 3 to 4 weeks. That's for a Les Paul. He said that after I told him I play about an hour a day.

So, that means I should change out my strings on my electric guitars after 30 hours of playing time?

What about on an acoustic guitar?

thanx

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

When I break enough of them so I don't have enough "extras" lying around.

It's from the Danny Gatton school of guitar maintenance.

That probably equals about once every 9 months or so... ;)

3. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Member

Depends on the conditions. When I play on stage, strings won't last longer than 3-4 hours, 2 gigs max. At home they stay good for months, sometimes even years, being said I use Fastfret at home. I only change them when they turn black or start breaking.
    On stage I sweat a lot, strings don't like that, they turn blue in a matter of minutes. I found that since I started Kickbox Training my sweat has become somewhat less corrosive, I might get an extra hour or so out of my strings. Still after a few hours of intense playing the wound strings gets fret damage.
    FYI I use EHX 11-48 nickel on all my electrics.

4. andyc

andyc Member

I change mine a lot. If it's a guitar I'm playing actively, then probably once a month or so. If I'm switching guitars around quite a bit then they'll go much longer. As soon as they look really tarnished and I start to have trouble keeping them in tune (which is usually 4-6 weeks), I change them.

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've found strings are lucky to last one gig for me. I guess all the adrenalin just makes me hit them harder. I even busted some new strings in the first set. But when I play at home I clean my strings off after every use with a rag and they probably last around 3-6 months. I switch guitars quite a bit though, so the wear is spread out amongst 8 different guitars. If I just play one guitar at home for a couple of hours a day I find the strings get harmonically dull after about 3-4 weeks.

6. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I rarely break strings, despite playing really quite hard. On the guitars that i use mostly for shows and keep at the practice room, i change them every 4 - 5 shows. On guitars that i keep at home and play all the time - i change them every 4 weeks or as soon as they sound noticably dull.

7. Ares

Ares Member

I change plain strings every 3-4 weeks(maybe more) and wound strings twice in this peroid of time.Brand new wound strings combined with plain ones that got some playing hours sound more balanced to my ears.

8. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I run my finger under the high E string. If I can feel the fret dents in the string, I know it's time for a change.

9. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Member

Before I used to change 'em when I broke a string but since I installed graphtech string savers on all my guitars I never break strings, no matter how much or how hard I play so now I change them when they start to sound dead and "muted" which is after 3 weeks or so on my current workhorse.

10. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Once a month, more if I'm gigging a lot. Feel 'em - you can tell when they lose their shine and shimmer. If you don't like changing strings, try some coated ones. Not my cup o' tea, but others swear by them.

11. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

12. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Try a tube of fast fret. Follow the directions. The stuff keeps the strings clean and sounding good. Makes the strings glide under your fingers and glide over the frets. Good product. Some may not like the feeling on their fingers. But if you follow the directions and wipe it off after you apply it, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

The point is that your strings will last much longer and the guitar will play better and sound better all that time.

13. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

3 Months, I use SOS.

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I just realized the two that are played the most haven't had new strings in about 6 months.

The rest of them have strings that are much older.

When I pick up a Tele and get plunk instead of twang, it's time for a change.

15. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I change mine around 6-9 months. I play almost every weekend....

16. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I put on a new set for every gig - I work 12~15 dates a month.

17. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

Another every gig changer here.

18. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

I change mine once some parts of the strings lost their luster and doesn't feel as smooth.

It's all about preserving the frets cause once the strings become rough, it'll build up rough friction and grind against the frets like sandpaper.

I used to be in the school of "only change 'em when they snapped" but after hearing how my friend's uncle managed to avoid refretting his guitar for more than a decade just by changing strings everyday, it immediately made sense for me to do it.

Besides, the average string lifespan is 24 hours, after which it will lose its... TONE! :eek:

19. oscar100

oscar100 Member

not often enough!!!:tapedshut:nono

20. Birddog

Birddog Member

I'll usally put a new set on before a gig. Sometimes if the gigs are one weekend after the next I'll get 2 gigs out of them, depending on how much that guitar is played at home in between.