How Often Do You Gig These Days ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by gillman royce, May 20, 2011.

1. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

How many gigs will you play this year? How does that compare to last year ? 5 Years ago ? What are the reasons involved ? Is age a factor ?

2. Deacon

Deacon Member

We play about 30 - 40 gigs a year. I was in a different band 5 years ago and we gigged more often.

The main reason for us is just that I have stuff going on with my boys on alternate weekends (I'm a divorced dad) and I don't book gigs on weekends I have my sons.

Everyone in the band is cool with it cause we're all working stiffs at day jobs and none of us want to gig any more often.

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Not many these days. Years ago I played 2-6 nights a week, 50 weeks a year. Once I went back to school and got a career the pitiful money and the hassles of hauling gear, staying up late, smokey bars, drunk people, and flaky musicians have made it to where playing 10 gigs a year is my max. I mainly take gigs that are outdoor festival type gigs or the random opening act thing. Playing bars is almost out of the question for me.

This Saturday I'm doing a pickup gig with some great musicians, no rehearsal, PA is provided and all I have to do is show up and sing/play some cool songs in a smoke free environment. This should be fun, plus the hours are 6:30-10, so not too late and about a 10 minute setup/tear down.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

3 or 4 times a month. Any more than that and it starts becoming work instead of fun. That's down a little from last year for that reason.

5. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

I play about 2-3 gigs per week. That equates to a significant increase from five years ago. I don't know what you consider old, but I'm 33 and gig now more than ever. I play in two original bands and sit in with other groups all the time. I'd love to play more. If I could get up to five nights per week I could probably quit my job.

6. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

a couple gigs a year.... used to do a couple a month ... just got tired of the whole thing, family became more important to me

7. harry65

harry65 Member

3-4 a week at the moment , wanna up that a little to 5-6.............;)

8. Brooks

Brooks Member

last year (june '09 to june '10) i gigged at least once a week (acoustic duo).

this last year its been 3 times (rush tribute). i'm cutting it way back, plus i was laid up from a motorcycle accident for ~4 months.

9. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

3-4 gigs per week -- hopefully MORE soon!

10. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

About 2-3 times a month this year, compared to 8-12 gigs a month for 50 weeks last year. I needed a break, and my day job became considerably busier this year.

11. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

2-4 a week plus I work a full-time day job. I get pretty tired sometimes. I'm 43 and gig more now that I did a few years ago.

12. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

Took a break to get sober. Now trying to get back into it slowly...

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

A few years ago I was still gigging 50+ times a year but with my recent heart problems I've cooled it.

I'll probably play 5 dates this year.

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I average once a week these days, and have for the last few years. When I was just doing solo work, it was two or three times a week. After a few years of that, it got old. At the end, I was watching the clock throughout sets, calculating when my next break was. Plus, my wife is happier if I'm home three or four nights a week.

15. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Around 50 times a year, which averages to once/week, but they are mostly packed into the summer.

16. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

2-6 gigs a week. The past year has been slower for me. More 2 and 3 gigs a week than 5 or 6 like it was a few years ago.

17. mannish

mannish Member

more than I ever have in my life. It's been nuts - referrals make up half of them which is great....crazy but I am loving it. When football season arrives it will kill Saturday nights

I seldom play a weeknight gig

18. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

I have a steady Thursday night gig that's fun. We play mostly original tunes that the singer/acoustic-guitarist writes that leave a lot of room for creativity. band is a bunch of real nice guys and we have a lot of fun.

Beyond the once-a-week gig, I occassionally play (2-5 nights a month) gigs with other bands plus for about 3 weeks in the summer I'm band-leader for a country show.

I pretty much only play gigs I think are interesting and/or fun anymore but I still stay about as busy as I want to.

19. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

4 nights a month for me. I could play more, but I keep a 6-day-a-week fulltime job as well.

20. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

averaged a gig a month from !'97-'05 ... had a few in '06 and have not had a paying gig since then (just blues jams and sit-ins with friends' bands) ... combination of (first) dead live music scene and fewer places to play, and then aging parent issues taking all of my time... I've pretty much given up on the likelihood of it ever coming back.