How often do you lube the nut and saddles for trems?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kinmike, Feb 16, 2015.

1. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

Do you do this before playing every time or just when changing strings? Maybe somewhere in between?

2. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I never do. If everything's cut right and smooth, it shouldn't nescessary. That said, unless you get it everywhere and make a mess, the lube is harmless. If you must use it, I'd say just experiment and see how often you need to do it.

3. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Member

I did it once about 12 years ago. Never bothered with any type of lube since. As previously stated, lube on the nut and saddles is more of a band-aid than a cure. It's just messy, and a properly cut nut is a thing of beauty that should require minimal fuss.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I hit each moving contact point at each string change with just a bit of Teflon lube in paste form. It is white and cleans up easily. After all the strings are on and up to pitch, I give a good pied own, so any remaining lube is under the strings.
    I do it out of precaution. I keep a tube of plain Chapstick in my string change kit in case I have a sticky nut at a gig. He only used it when changing a band mates broken string on the fly. G- of course... And made the ping disappear instantly.

5. RicOkc

RicOkc Member