1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you lube your nut?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Yer Blues, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I just saw a Phil X interview with TIm Pierce. Phil said he lubes his nut during with every string change. I'd imagine with the amount of hours he plays daily he is changing strings pretty often on the guitars he plays the most. Is this common? I've never lubed a nut. If the guitars are staying in tune is there any reason to do it?

Jim234, Golem, porterburst and 2 others like this.
  2. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Yes and no. I only do it for string changes which aren’t very often even before the pandemic shut down all gigging here. If you have a well cut nut made from a good material then really lubing the slots is almost not needed. I use medium mechanical pencil lead or a number 2 pencil. I prefer tusq nuts. If you are still having tuning issues its probably something else. None of my gtrs have tuning issues w or wo trems. I only have locking tuners on the trem gtrs. I prefer Schaller m6 locking or standard tuners also.

ifallalot and Yer Blues like this.
  3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Every string change pretty much, sometimes I forget to do it. :bonk

4. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

A little pencil lead every string change. Works every bit as good as "lube" and it's not nearly as messy.

5. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Wow... I never knew this was so common. I guess I'll add it to the string changing routine and see if I notice any changes. Thanks!

6. Capador

Capador Member

yup, every string change. I had a guitar with a floating trem that broke a lot of strings. I started using the nut lube and never broke another one. Now I use it on all my guitars all the time. It's a quick and easy thing to do and the lube is cheap. Kind of a no brainer.

Yer Blues likes this.
  7. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Depends on the guitar. A lot of nuts these days are self lubricating, so you never have to do it. If you play a Les Paul or similar guitar, you'll likely have to do it every string change or more.

Yer Blues likes this.
  8. RG7X

RG7X Supporting Member

Every string change. Pencil lead is cheap and simple. TUNE-IT or PW Lubrikit Friction Remover also work well and make it easy to not make a mess.

Yer Blues likes this.
  9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

I do it a couple of times a year, not every change.
    A little dab’ll do ya!
    I swear my tube of nut sauce is 10 years old.

10. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

So are you guys lubricating the bridge and saddle every string change, too?

11. WillC77

WillC77 Member

This ×1000. A pack of mechanical pencil lead is in my Star Wars Luthier Lunchbox permanently now.

fretless and Yer Blues like this.
  12. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson is Tio's favorite Silver Supporting Member

My old tech taught me to always carry a small piece of Ivory soap with my gig tools. He had been working on the guitars for many well known pros for decades, and he used a little soap on the nut (and bridge saddles) every string change.

13. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

If you have no problems with tuning, imho you don't need to fix what isn't broken.

I lube the nut, and saddles at every string change with powdered graphite, which I bought in a plastic tube in the 1970's. If done correctly the product lasts a VERY long time, to my surprise.

I have nut oil and a couple of other nut lube products, but have not tried any since the powdered graphite works well and I have plenty left.

phil b, stratadp, ZENTISH and 2 others like this.
  14. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

A Les Paul is one of my main guitars and my main gigging guitar last year or so... I never lubed up and never had any tuning or string breakage issues. A tech did do a fret level and clean up the nut though. I'm sure that helped... he did a great job as far as I can tell.

Tommy Biggs, C-4 and TheClev like this.
  15. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

I'm sure not all Les Pauls need it, but the ones I've had typically had some binding issues, particularly on the G string. A little lube helped greatly with that.

16. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

I only do it once or twice a year, not every change. I'm not having tuning issues, and hardly ever break strings.

Mickey Shane likes this.
  17. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

They amount of behind the nut shinanigans that guy does probably warrants a lube every string change.

18. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Never do it at all and have zero issues with tuning stability on my guitars.

stephax, big-ez, jgiaquinto and 3 others like this.
  19. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I'm also from the school of using graphite lead from a pencil whenever I change strings.

I don't own any guitars with whammy bars or Bigsbys so that works fine for me. Other lubricants may work even better but I don't experience major tuning issues so I'll stick with my method.

Yer Blues likes this.
  20. ronmail65

ronmail65 Silver Supporting Member

Once a day, twice on Saturdays.

Aardvark, PRSAtomic, adrianb and 20 others like this.