How often do you play?

InkStained

Inside or out, with a band or not, for fun or serious practice, composing or noodling -- how often do you pick up your instrument and play?

It's been a few days for me. And I'm feeling guilty.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Try to play once a day at least, but often work and other commitments get in the way. That then pushes it out to a few days.

thesauce

Because of my work schedule and being divorced making time for my son, which is number one, I binge play. Might skip some days but then there's a 6 hours session back to back sat and sun.

StratoCraig

I play most days, sometimes just for a little while, sometimes for hours (though that's usually only possible on weekends). I prefer not to skip any days, but occasionally I have to.

Pitar

Every day for at least an hour I'm composing. That's another way of saying noodling around.

Dunzie

I try to play every day. Sometimes for 30 minutes, sometimes for 3 hours at home, and when we jam or gig it's usually 3 hours or more.

Every day, even if for a couple minutes. I keep a guitar in the living room and a bunch near my desk so they're always within reach.

Catthan

I play everyday, even if it's for a few minutes just to maintain finger dexterity.
I can't say I "practice" daily tho as by the time I start playing my mental resources are limited from hours of analytical work and I find it hard to focus and do anything musical or constructive like transcribing or sight- reading..
Wouldn't mind having a bit less time but with a fresh brain..

WillisChill

I play everyday but sometimes I'll take a day off or just noodle a tiny bit instead of actually practicing just to stay eager and fresh and not burn myself out. I've found that taking a little break like that in between rehearsals or playing/learning new stuff or gigs allows you to approach the guitar with a fresh mind.

Sid

around every alternate weekday i noodle around and then play for longer hours on the weekend

I Try to play everyday for at least an hour or so.....it's weird, I have to get up early for work but the urge to play comes on strongest at night....I'm tired a lot.

Sid

I Try to play everyday for at least an hour or so.....it's weird, I have to get up early for work but the urge to play comes on strongest at night....I'm tired a lot.
I've stopped fighting it, the urge to play for me comes on when i'm done for the day and my mind is relaxed...which is always at night...:D

ZeyerGTR

My goal for the last 5 years or so was to get at least 15 minutes a day, and try to be focused with that time. Given what else is going on in my life I figured that was a practical, realistic goal. After a couple years I realized I had to be okay with taking some breaks, and not pushing it. Did 7 days a week for 7 months in a row and tendinitis flared up bad. I average 5-6 days a week, about 20-30 minutes per day. If the wife and kid are out of town I can get many hours, but that's rare - it all averages out. I try to sit down and think "what am I going to learn today" not "how long am I going to practice."

thesauce

I've stopped fighting it, the urge to play for me comes on when i'm done for the day and my mind is relaxed...which is always at night...:D
Interestingly there is a lot of literature out there suggesting the creativity is at its peak in evening to late night hours.

Trending Topics