How Often Do You Re-arrange Your Pedalboard?

7thString

Just wondering if the rest of you guys are as nuts as me... Seems like almost every day that I find time, I come up with a new setup to keep things interesting. The fun thing is that once I had the "I sound like me through anything" epiphany, I didn't have to worry so much about this or that pedal being a part of 'my sound' and this really allowed me to enjoy making new songs with the band a lot more. The drawback of this is that you do end up with several songs that may need a particular pedal and this can end up creating some necessities... Its always fun though!

Reactions: AJC

jordane93

I recently added a pedal to my board a few days ago but before that its been almost a year since I changed my board.

Grainslayer

I did it today..bought a new pedal and dint have long enough patch cords so I had to do a little shuffling to make to work..

depends on what I'm doing. Most of my board stays the same for gigs, but I experiment a lot at home and in rehearsals. Since starting this post, I've actually had an idea about my rehearsal board and how it can stay more consistent for gigs. So I'm about to rearrange. :bonk

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Voted monthly. I have 2 pedal spots that I have been rotating- one is a gain spot (high gain, rhythm medium gain), the other is delay, echo, verb, modulation option spot.

The first has been rotating between a Stone Grey Distortion, Arctic White Fuzz, Model G, and I want to try the new Model Hs there. The second has been the Dispatch Master, Memory Lane Jr, DD5, Carbon Copy, Warped Vinyl, Zoom CDR, Line 6 M5, and right now I am trying out a H9.

I said I switch monthly, but I am really just swapping a few different options depending on the gig in the case of the OD slot, and looking for the right fit in the later mod/delay/verb spot.

((TechnicolorSkyline))

Silver Supporting Member
Monthly for the most part. Usually have a few rotation spots, but I've been known to completely redo everything depending on whatever band I'm in or stuff that I'm into at the time.

Fu Schnickens

Voted yearly or less. I have what I want and have the options I use. Tried a Fuzzface about a year ago and decided I'm not fuzzy. Tried a Fulldrive a while ago. Realized it wasn't as full as I liked. Returned to my Marshall GV-2 and added a Soul Food. Dope on a rope. I typically try a new pedal once a year or so. I'm not severely GASsy.

scotty31

I don't have a board at the moment. I have setups but most days I just grab what I think I need for a part and try not to plug something in that isn't being recorded/used for writing

Jdawgy

I voted weekly because I get different gigs and i dont want a bunch of extra pedals setting on my board to only clutter it up for said gig.

...especially in the studio.

soulman969

If there's nothing to add or subtract what's to rearrange? I rearrange my refrigerator at least once a week or more because stuff comes and goes but my pedals don't change much.

Daily??? That would seem to me to require medication and counseling. :crazy

I've not placed a vote as my answer is 'none of the above' - on average I would say twice a year.

I will only rearrange when I have bought something new, or are making a fundamental change to the way I do things.

E.g. I recently swapped out my PT2 for a slightly bigger Aclam pedalboard, and at the same time we have just moved to an IEM rehearsal setup.

I took this opportunity to do a complete rethink of the board, and made some purchases based around the rethink.

Other than possibly doing a direct swap of the Musicomlab EFXII for the newer EFXIV, I don't envisage any rearrangements of my board for a long time now, and even that change I have accounted for - it won't be a rearrange but a direct swap.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I shoot for reliable consistency. I want to know what is there and exactly how to get the most out of it.
If I change something- it is usually the whole thing or most of it. But I keep it all minimal on a Blackbird Feather board so, there isn't much opportunity.

DivineTones

Up until recently it's been about once every couple of months, mostly because my board is just small enough that I have to swap out the occasional modulation or boost pedal. I already have pretty much what I need pedal wise on my shelf, just not enough space on the board.

Next month I'm grabbing a PT-Pro to overcome that problem. The MkV kicked my need for extra drives, and the H9 for extra modulation, so everything's going on the board to include (finally) my wah, exp, and volume pedals. If I can afford two more H9s to kick my space sucking delay/reverb pedals off, and fit the MkV footswitch on there, I'll do that, too.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
I'll swap in/out a pedal or two probably once a month. I never do an entire pedalboard re-work, just move stuff around as I get the urge.

fl00dsm0k3

Silver Supporting Member
Once a month or every other month normally after I get a new pedal when I think I can get a better or different sound

The Funk

If something breaks or I sell something which is almost never with pedals. The last major change to the layout came when my Velcro started peeling too much and my tremolo pedal died. Prior to that it was when I got a different amp with a larger footswitch. Changed out broken cables a few time, but the layout and order has been stable for years.

7thString

If there's nothing to add or subtract what's to rearrange? I rearrange my refrigerator at least once a week or more because stuff comes and goes but my pedals don't change much.

Daily??? That would seem to me to require medication and counseling. :crazy
hahaha I had better seek help then!

Trending Topics