How Often Do You Re-arrange Your Pedalboard?

Riffa

Old thread, current problem. I can't seem to settle on a setup for a board. I must have too many pedals because the number of options is driving me mad. Any tips on how to put a board together that works and just leave it alone?

bigmac53

Silver Supporting Member
I just went through a 6 month period of basically constant rearrangement and have now settled on two separate mini boards (one has 4 pedals the other has 5) that roughly encompass all the same sounds, but one has dirt pedals that work better with humbuckers; and each has a different flavor of delay (one tape, one dbucket). I can easily swap back and forth between the two, and swap specific pedals if necessary; though the whole point was to not have to do that. I think where I'm at now is where I'm going to be for a while; I worked hard to figure out the sounds I wanted and I'm finally pretty happy with it.

Kevy_Metal

On my smaller 4 pedal boards, I'll change them either one every couple of months depending on how much I'm jamming out of house (which isn't much at all these day, obviously).

My larger board tends to have a couple of mainstay pedals that anchor things down and I'll swap out the others depending on how I feel, maybe once every other week.

Fulldrive-1

Nope. when I rebuilt my pedalboard, I played around with it, then locked the pedals down. Been years with no changes.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
Old thread, current problem. I can't seem to settle on a setup for a board. I must have too many pedals because the number of options is driving me mad. Any tips on how to put a board together that works and just leave it alone?
im zero help. im constantly changing things around

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
I do a LOT of private outdoor gigs in CA (not so much since Covid-but I did over 200 gigs last year). Usually there are nice stages, but sometimes I've played outdoor on dirt or sand and my board can get a really grungy! I take advantage of cleanings to swap stuff I haven't played in a while, try something new, remove stuff that isn't working for me, etc...

AJC

The last few weeks, I’ve been out of control (Every couple of days), and just today have decided to lock down to one setup for the next month or two. And one tiny board I can switch stuff around on to noodle around in the living room watching football.

stargazer747

All 3 of my pedalboards have gone thru an array of changes, and its not due to the pandemic's lockdown, just my nature to over-think everything and look for perfect symmetry in every aspect of my life. From downsizing very big, bulky, and heavy over-populated awkward boards to minimalist single row flat aluminum rail boards extremely light weight with 8 or less FX on them, to re-arranging the FX on them to find a better tone and/or functionality, to keeping them in a uniform and evenly spaced apart, to having the boards reflect a certain theme, to wiping out whatever pedal(s) I no longer plan to ever use.

And this is on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. I cannot recall if any of my boards actually ever completed a full year untouched. You can consider that each of my boards are forever "a project in progress" and maybe never reach final destination. But I can say that there is always a method to my madness and it becomes very apparent when they are finally complete (at least for that moment in time) and as I start using them.

Last edited:

Nacho8807

If I am gigging, my board almost never changes. Since I've only been playing at home, it changes weekly. I don't have a pedalboard big enough for all my pedals, and some are redundant, so I'm always rotating them out to keep the sounds and options fresh. I have had the plan to buy a second board so that I can have a gig board and a home board. I just need to pull the trigger.

Trending Topics