1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How often do you re-tube your amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mangy71, May 22, 2011.

1. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I know there isn't a hard & fast rule on this, but what are your personal experiences? I have owned a Blues Jr. for about a year. I play it around 6-8 hours a week. Lately the tone has seemed kinda inconsistent and I am wondering if this is a sign that I need new tubes, or maybe it is something else?

2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I know some guys do it every year, but I've only retubed my AC15 twice in 13 years. Of course, for ten of those years, I wasn't gigging.

3. GT100

GT100 Member

If I had that amp I would have replaced the EL84s 6monts ago...

Lloyd

4. 6AM

6AM Member

When power tubes start dying the feel of the amp gets weird, I usually change them at that point.

5. donthasslethehoff

donthasslethehoff Supporting Member

owned a maz jr for a decade....new power tubes maybe twice...maybe.....some new preamp tubes....rarely....if one got noisy or failed

6. Oatie

Oatie Member

In general the EL84's have a short life span.

We have 120 volt Hobbs Hour Meters on our rack systems, the crown amps,
    and everything in the rack. counts hours and minutes.

would be interesting to put on a tube amp w/fresh tubes to see how long they last.
    the meters make a slight click sound when they are working. Not enough to hear though at idle. They sell cheap on ebay sometimes, just keep looking for them.
    Simply 2 wire hookup. I got 1800 hours out of a new pair of old stock Sylvania 6L6GC tall bottle 2 getter tubes. They still tested good but were not like new at all.

The new Genalex Gold Lion EL84 are nice sounding tubes, check what they look like here,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ310319800606

7. shane8

shane8 Member

when they wear out

8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Whenever it starts to sound bad or not make any sound. So, typically every few years I change some tubes--usually the power tubes.

9. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

Thanks guys. I just ordered a matched pair of el84s for it.

10. Demo

Demo Member

I'll let you know if/when it happens. Most all of them are 50+ years old "overpriced NOS junk." You'll have to ask whomever inherits them, I doubt I'll ever know?

11. BCJek

BCJek Member

Similar story here. I have a box full of NOS and used tubes that still test better than new, many of them the Mullards that came stock in my 60s Traynors.

The only new tubes I have ever bought are the JJ 6V6s - bought on the basis of their ability to handle high voltages.

Those old tubes last, man.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I replace tubes when they start showing signs of being bad. This usually means louder and more often than usually hissing. Popping noises too. New production EL84's seem to last about 4 to six months. So that's how oftn I'd change them. But since I've realized, too, that new production tubes are *usually* crappy I've started migrating to NOS whenever I can find something that's good/reasonable. In a nut shell, most of my amps never have new production tubes more than a couple of years old (that means the 12AX7's/power tubes more often). But hopefully with the NOS ones, I can get that average up.