How often do you REALLY use your flanger?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NewarkWilder, Jul 8, 2008.

1. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I've got e Deluxe Electric Mistress and for what it does, I love it, and I don't think I'd really want to replace it with some other flanger but the pedalboard real estate is starting to make me wonder if its really even worth having on my board. I rarely use it. Between my other pedals I can come pretty close to a flanged sound without even having a flanger anyway.

Maybe it just doesn't fit my style of playing the way I thought it would. Maybe I haven't found just the right application for it yet. But my mind is starting to go down this path of wondering if a flanger is really just another effect you don't really even need unless you're dead set on getting that exact sound.

Anybody else feel like this? Anybody feel like they'd be lost without their flanger? Maybe it wouldn't even be an issue for me if it were in an mxr sized enclosure but the DEM is just so damn big. Can I really justify taking up all that space?

(yes, I know thats a question only I can really answer, but I want TGP's take on it too :munch)

2. m@2

m@2 Member

i can relate. since getting my big muff and DMM, the pedal board is VERY crowded. I just sold 4 pedals. Flange tends to be one of those "once a set" pedals, but still can be fun to use. Another option is to locate less used (or ones that need manual tweaking) pedals to the amp.

3. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

Yeah I have a DMM too so having 2 of the ginormous enclosure EHX pedals leaves little room for much else and ive got a lot more that needs to be on there. I've been swapping out fuzz pedals when honestly i'm pretty sure i'd like to have all those tones available to me over the 1 big flanger box.

I do have a soft-spot for Maxon products though and their small yellow flanger might make its way onto my board one day if I do decide to dump the DEM. I dunno.

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I never use it. Just removed my EVH Flanger from my board, in fact.

5. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

glad to know i'm not alone in this. i think we all get sucked into the "i have to have every kind of effect at my disposal" mentality sometimes. maybe i'll give the DEM a little break and see if I miss it.

6. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

One thing I'm experimenting with is ways to easily add pedals to my board for short-term use, say for instance if I know I'll be playing a set that requires the flanger on one song...I'd like to be able to quickly add that in without having it on the board permanently, or tearing the board apart. I use a true bypass looper (Axess GRX4) to bring pedals in and out of the signal path, so I'm going to dedicate one of the four loops to "short-term" effects, by wiring the send and return of that loop to Neutrik jacks on the side of my board. THis way, I'll be able to just attach patch cables from the Neutrik jacks to the pedal I need (the flanger, for instance), turn the loop on, and voila, instant flange. And I can leave it at home when I don't need it. At least, that's the idea!

7. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

They have an XO series version of that pedal. It's no bigger than a MicroPOG.

8. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

that is definitely a good idea. i need to be thinking about alternatives like that rather than the black and white "do i need it or not" kind of thing. thanks for your input bkd :BEER

9. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

yeah but you can get some cool mods done to the original i've been thinking about that you can't get done to the XO... so I figure if i'm going to use flanging at all i'm going to stick with what i've got or going with something in an mxr-sized box. but thanks!

10. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I think it depends on what you play.
    I do alot of Hendrix and Floyd type of stuff, so I may not use a flanger every two seconds, but it sits there ready when needed, which is enough to validate it's placement on the board.
    It may be much different for others as their style may not call for it.
    Hope that helps,
    Mass

11. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

All the time. Flanger is a great sound for texture.

12. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    My Boss bf2 is in the closet right now, really dont use it now. I feel so liberated lol.

13. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

I love some flanger now that I have one of your ADA clones. I thought it was going to be for special occasions but I can see myself using this a lot. The switch on the left that changes the harmonic structure... awesome!

14. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

Built a PAIA flanger around '80 or so.....MAYBE used it 3 or 4 times....it's in my basement somewhere.

15. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

not very often...

16. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I used to use it all the time, then stopped, then kinda started again, then stopped again... I've dropped the analog flangers (and ALL stomp-box delay-based effects) from my board now, but I just programmed up a light flange for one song on our set list.

But today, I was listening to David Bowie's "Scary Monsters" album, and it's just chock full of amazing flanged lead guitar tones from Robert Fripp. Rather than doing whooshy jet sounds, he used it for a sort of metallic vocal character on his notes. It sounds evil and scary and delicious. So I suspect my little Guyatone flanger will be sneaking back onto my board soon...

17. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

that's what she said.

18. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I actuially used to use mine all the time (also a Deluxe Electric Mistress) but pulled off my board a few years ago...recently I pulled it out for some recording and thought about putting it back on the board but in the end opted not too...I just won't use it enough...

19. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

that may be exactly how things go for me. but the DEM is a great effect, it truly is... maybe i'll make an attempt to actually write a song around that kind of tone instead of just trying to figure out where to inject it in what i already have too. hmm. :stir

20. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I use it to texture a phrase or wammy dive. They are big beasts tho. The Maxon has my interest for sure.