How Often Do You Think About Selling Pedals...

coot tone

...and or other guitar gear? I've told people before, being good at acquiring good gear is a blessing and a curse. It's great when you get it, but as soon as any little unexpected financial need comes up, I think of selling gear first, mainly because I know I have good stuff and can unload it. It's just kind of in my mind...maybe it's guilt...

Nork

i don't think of selling gear that much, but i really don't have tons of it to sell. but gear is always available, so you usually don't have to worry about getting it back. unless it's a piece that's unavailable anymore.

SteveO

The only time I ever unload something is when it's getting replaced with something else!

Alejandro

Gold Supporting Member
I was an addicted OD-Dist pedals...unitl I became more careful with my financial needs. Then I keep just two pedal :Barber Direct Drive and Small Fry. Need no more and both my two desert island stomp boxes

coot tone

I'm addicted to OD/fuzzes as well. Sometimes I wonder if I really need so many flavors. Sometimes there's temptation to sell something really sweet like my original Sunlion simply because it's worth $$$ when I have other flavors I like almost as well. It's never that I DON'T like the gear I think about selling, more like in this day and age I wonder if really need some of the stuff that I have multiple flavors of that may eventually go up in value just because of their coolness/rareness.

A friend of mine once owned a really nice '59 Gretsch 6120 with a cowboy case. He bought it when 6120s were out of vogue (pre-Stray Cats) for very little, but it eventually became worth so much that he felt like he had to unload for financial considerations. I guess it's an old story.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
GASsing is an addiction, the bigger problem is after the fact when you say you don't need it or you really can't afford it afterwards. My problem is acquiring some old TCE pedals as a backup to what's on my board. I always say to myself you can never have enough. Especially since I had a close call the other night w/ a guy trying to rip a pedal of my board after a gig. (See "Velcro vs Dual Lock" thread)

mahler

I have other things I go to in times of need!

I have never thought about selling a pedal, except the Jimi Hendrix Octavio the sound was to strange for me! Ended up sitting around and eventually I diode broke, now I am stuck with it.... Would let it go for 50-100 dollars though (simple repair).

but alas all my other pedals I have never wanted to sell!

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I end up buying some stuff, picking thru and keeping anything that sounds great to me. My rule is keep a pedal that never has made a bad sound. I'm happier now than when I thought I ought to own one of everything.

flampton

Weird everyone responding seems to be hoarders. Well I'm the complete opposite. My pedals are constantly changing. This is because I'm setting up a new massive board. I also trial pedals by buying them and if not liking I flip. Almost all the pedals I own cannot be demoed as they aren't sold locally. Anyways when I'm done with the board I guess my pedals will be stuck and velcroed down. Until that time I'm always selling. And buying. So no I don't flip because of finances. I just am a snob for gear and if it doesn't meet my expectations its off to somebody else.

coot tone

I used to be a minimalist, then I went thought a period where I GASed for this and that...now I'm considering going back to being a minimalist!!!

When will the madness end?????

Tibbonds

I only sell stuff bto buy new gear. I just sold a LOAD of pedals and replaced them with an M13 plus 2 expression pedals. I've kept all my analogue dirt, but everything else now is coming from the M13. I couldn't be happier with my choice, it's an incredible unit.

Totally Bored

Never

Last time I checked I have about 30 pedals or more. They are family. I could see trading and selling pedals when I was a kid and I was poor but ....

Tibbonds

I've owned upwards of 120 pedals, and whilst I would have liked to have kept most of them if I could afford to, they'd all be sat on a shelf collecting dust. In my financial situation I see little point keeping gear I won't use again, though I do understand why people collect gear if they have the money to do so.

Guitar Goober

I've thought about selling one or two drive pedals I don't use. I picked one of every other type of pedal carefully and although I don't always have them all on my board at the same time, i wouldn't get rid of them.

I never think of selling any of my gear except the Boss Metal Zone. Idk why I even bought it ???
Could always mod it... I did the Monte Allums Sustainia Tri Gain Plus Mod on mine and love it now.

Meriphew

Never. If I buy a pedal that replaces another one, I'll keep the other one as a backup, or else I'll use it on synths/drum machines etc. I've sold some gear in the past that I really regretted (Roland Jupiter 8 & Roland Jupiter 4), so I don't sell anything off anymore.

Dica3

The only time I ever unload something is when it's getting replaced with something else!
this. But it happens quite a bit to me. I long ago lost my sentimentalty when it comes to pedals, if it doesn't get used in 3 gigs, off the board it goes, if it doesn't find a use shortly there after in the studio or somewhere else, it is gone. I would love to keep all the gear I ever buy but I am a professional musician and therefore broke.

sutherland

I've started to slow down on my gear purges. This past year has been great, was able to try out so many pedals (most of which were overdrives). After all the Barbers, Xotics, Mad Professors, and Fulltones....all that remains are my Analogman and Skreddy Pedals.

I'm hoping 2011 would be more about long distance pedal borrowing.

For the most part gear that's not on my board gets the same treatment as gear on my board that I don't really use (yeah you phaser). I need to get out from under the fear that as soon as I pull it or sell it I'll need it. It'd be fun to set up one of those PT mini's I see on here. I know I could put something nice together that'd cover all my bases. Then I could sell a pedal in a one-off, one-on fashion. Prolly not happenin' though.

I did recently sell off some boss, EHX and MXR items I had lying around. I also like envelope filter sound but never can really work it in in any of my group projects. So I have this old DOD FX-25 (bright green '87 model), I put it on Craigslist twice a year and it never sells. I don't know if I need a better EF or if I just need to learn this one. I'm thinking of getting someone to rehouse it for me.

Is an envelope filter like compression in that cheap ones are useless? Is there any logic to my keeping the old DOD around? If I had something to compare it to I'd trust my ears, but I don't.

Trending Topics