how often is your Klon on?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by driches, Feb 28, 2008.

1. driches

driches Member

Klon owners: I'm curious how often yours is on during your set. Basically, I'm trying to do a cost vs. use analysis. Since I only use it as a solo boost, and I only solo in about half my band's songs, and in those songs it's only on for about 30 seconds of about 200, AND add to that in a loud live setting, the nuances of the klon may be lost, I'm thinking maybe it's just not cost effective owning it.

2. Jam119

Jam119 Member

I have come to love my Klon and an always on Boost placed just after my drives as it thickens the tone... But I have a Barber Launch Pad that does the boost thing extremely well and is completely transparent... You might want to check out the launch pad at 1/2 the cost...

3. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

Klon almost always on, also after drive...I've tried again and again to replace it, most recently with the clean boost built into a Dr. Scientist Reverberator - but as always, the Klon wins. I also use boost before hand (Carb for solos, Comp for countryish) - the Klon usually stays on. The others sound..well like my tone used to, not as professional and even.

If it is just as a solo boost I would definitely consider something else - like the Carb for example.

I think of it as part of the amp - I pay the amount of the Klon to have that much better of an amp. Wider, eqd better, etc....esp with a smaller 1 channel amp...the buttons of my Klon are my interface with my amp.

4. driches

driches Member

i tried using it as an always on pedal to warm up the amp, but i found the mid-honk too noticeable. the RC booster handles that function better for me.

you guys say you have it always on, after your drives...does that mean your drives are always on as well? do you not play clean?

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think they are all using it with the gain set somewhere from full CCW to maybe 9 o'clock or so. Also Tone set so as not to get that mid honk.

I personally like it with some gain, with the mid honk (but careful setting of the tone control) but the issue for me is the buffer when it is off...it reacts very badly with any other buffered pedal in line, and makes the whole bypassed signal way too bright and ice-picky.

So for me, mine is about to maybe be sold, or else I keep it and use it for recording, or use it as clean boost like the others do. Last resort I can put it in its own loop, but to be honest, it pisses me off more and more that the builder doesn't let the user decide (via dip switch or jumper) if they WANT the damned buffer...so I am leaning towards selling. It is too costly a pedal to have these issues in my opinion.

6. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Eternity>Klon... awesome! ( had to say that )

I also use the Klon as a solo boost and I've tried 5 other ones that didnt cut it.

SHO, BOR, RCboost, Sexdrive, & Timmy ( allthough its the best of these, but I use it for a bass overdrive now since Klon )

The eq of the klon is the beauty of the pedal. The treble isnt harsh, the low midrange is woody, and the buffering is impeccable.

Will try the Barber Launch Pad next... The Timmy is awesome, so dont rule it out.

7. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

8. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I've mentioned before that the problem with the buffer on the Klon went away for me when I stopped using GeorgeLs afterward....
    with the GeorgeLs is the only time I'd describe the buffer anywhere near
    ice-pick land, and I'd definitely notice using a tele 90% of the time.

also maybe I don't notice it that much since I use a great buffered pedal (AD900) right after it on the way back to the amp. They seem good together.

I like it without much gain - maybe between 8:30-9:30...often this seems expensive for just a clean boost...but again the eq, the tone setting is very nice and usable, make it like the front end of my Goodsell - keep it a keeper.

9. Jam119

Jam119 Member

Mine is set with Gain full CCW as I might knock it up to 9:00 as mentioned to add some hair... Treble is usually at Noon to 1:00 depending on the amp I'm pushing and Volume at 1:00... Most of my amps are clean but just about to break up... My various drives are not always on - I ride the guitars volume to clean up and pick and choose different OD's for character.

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I've owned my Klon longer than any other pedal - but I've always had a love/hate relationship with it. :YinYang

I love it as a clean boost (gain control set all the way counter clockwise) and find it unbeatable in that regard, but I'm not very fond of it as an overdrive - even into a loud amp that's cooking. Too nasal sounding with an unpleasant midrange honk that I've never been able to bond with.

Lately, I've gone back to using my old 50 watt Marshall > a 4x12 cab with Greenbacks and I find that with that rig I greatly prefer using my Fulldrive II and/or AnalogMan Silver Tube Screamer for a bit of extra dirt - so the Klon is currently sitting on the shelf for now.