How old is some of your recording gear?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by slayerbear17, Oct 31, 2019.

1. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I have an Alesis IO26 firewire which still works just fine and still using it, bought around 2005.
    An AMD GigaByte computer package I built myself, Almost 10 years old, still runs fine using Win10.
    I have some microphones which are coming on 20 Years+....still young.

Lets see what else?

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

My oldest piece of recording gear is a 60+ year old Supro amp that sounds amazing for recording, and does so at very sane volumes.

Computer stuff, on the other hand, does not age gracefully.

matt3310 likes this.
  3. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

I'm a luddite so I have a Tascam MS-16 1 inch 16 track from the late 80's, a Lexicon PCM-70 from the same era, and some mics older than that; all of which is in use. My console and most of my other studio gear is fairly recent.

4. ItsaRat!

ItsaRat! Member

I have a 1964 Bandmaster and a 1947 Gibson LG-1, but as far as actual recording gear my console is a Ramsa WR-T820 from the 80s, and a Tascam 388, also from the 80s.

jmoose, TravisE and Badtone like this.
  5. Stokely

Stokely Member

Not much stuff at this point. I have an old studiologic keyboard and m-audio midi-usb connector from the mid-90s, both (sort of) still work but I don't use them. I've gotten more ruthless in recent years. I still use my passive KRK K-rok speakers and Crown reference amp however, these are also from the 90s.

My live rig has two new keyboards, and studio-wise I have all pretty new software. Synths and effects plugins in particular have really improved. Take something like u-he's Repro and compare to synths back in say 2005 or so.

A friend's house is packed with vintage gear...you have to step over a couple old taurus pedals to get to the back room, and mind that broken Rhodes (that he's working on) :D

6. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I’ve got recording gear in my studio from every decade since 1950. Most of it, however, is from 90’s onward.

Oops, had to edit this. I thought my neve preamp was from the late 60’s but it’s 1970.

7. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

1926 Gibson L-0 that’s been in my family its entire existence.
    It was the first guitar I ever touched. I was always crawling towards it to strum the strings - as my parents told me.

Late 50s Unidyne by Shure Bros. S-55 that was my father’s mic.
    He sang thru it at his high school prom in 1959 I think.
    1959 ES-345 that inherited from my father when he passed. It was the first electric guitar I ever played.

RCA 77-DX I think it’s late 40s maybe early 50s.
    A pal rescued it from being a paper weight on someone’s desk, re-ribboned it and gave it to me as a moving away present when I left for Austin 20 years ago.

Mid-60s non matching years Silver Sparkle Ludwig in Bonham/Ringo sizes. Just a great Craigslist score.

1930s Dobson 5 string banjo. eBay score

70s Engelhardt Maestro Upright Bass. Local seller eBay Score.

All of these are in fine working order and I use them quite often.

Joe O likes this.
  8. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I think a 77DX would be mid 50s or older. I’ve got a 77D and they range from 1945 to 1955.

9. jmoose

jmoose Member

DAW rig is totally up to date. Just spent a small fortune. 2019 iMac 4k running Logic X, UAD quad satellite & Soundtoys, 16 channels of Focusrite I/O

Oldest piece of gear is probably the '61 blonde Bandmaster. Have some older Rogers drums & other bits dating to late 60s and a 73 hardtail Strat that's super dope.

Oldest studio gear I own are probably the Telefunken V672 preamps. Oldest stuff I use on a regular basis at other shops is 1940's... mostly broadcast compressors. RCA Ba6a, Collins etc and plenty of old mics around too... U67s KM54s, original C12's etc.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  10. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I track a fair amount of midi performances with an old Evolution MK-249C keyboard circa 2000;

74-75 Byrdland gets tracked a lot;

But...recording gear for recording audio and music?
    most of mine is fairly new:
    2yr old computer i7 7800K machine;
    10 months old RME UFX+.

I have older audio interfaces (Delta 66; mbox2; presonus firestudio mobile) but don't use them for anything other than midi or maybe a skype microphone.

I still have my old Sony DTC-690 DAT machine from 1993 and a JVC double cassette deck from that time.

I use a Sound Devices 722T field recorder manufactured in 2011 quite a lot

11. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

I personally own a consumer Tandberg 1/4" 1/4 track reel to reel from 1975. It is in near-perfect shape. I picked it up in a studio closing for $25.

[​IMG]
    A couple of years ago I was asked to master a performance from Glen Campbell at the White House from May 7th, 1971 for CD. In the '60s John Kennedy had asked Phil Ramone to upgrade the sound gear in the white house and he chose... Tandberg tape decks. Soooo... I had the right tool for the job. Of course we had to bake the tape to set the binder and I had to take extreme measures to protect this artifact, but darn.

I've got four pairs of Auratone speakers,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also got some '80s processing including a Lexicon Prime Time Delay and a UREI 545 parametric. Nice big knobs! The first studio I worked at had Prime Time serial 0000002.
    [​IMG]
    I worked with all these in the '80s and '90s and they were slowly replaced and eventually sent to the crusher. I caught them before they were killed.

Last but not least I have a 1976 Neve 10x1 audience mixer.
    [​IMG]

The studio where I work has some 1950s RCA BK-5 Ribbons from the '60s and an AKG C414 "Comb," essentially a solid state C-12. It was the first edition of the C414.

That ought to be a neat little trip through time.

Bob

eigentone and NotWesYet like this.
  12. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

I have a hybrid rig with a bunch of gear I came up on co-mingled with newer DAW-centric gear.
    The old tracking desk is a 1981 Trident Trimix, newer mixing desk is an Audient ASP2802 automated console/DAW controller from 2010ish.
    Main monitors are Westlake BBSM-6s from the mid-80's, have flight cases for them from when they were my "portable" reference monitors haha, they weigh 68# each. Also have a JVC grot box that's been on every meter bridge since '89. Current NS-10Ms are from '96 or so, original drivers still intact but I never turn them on during tracking.
    Outboard is fairly new, only old stuff is a pair of 160XTs and a pair of LXP-5s with MRC midi remote controller from the dawn of the 90s.
    Mics are all over the place, EV RE-55s, RE-15s, 635A from the late 60s, then a couple N/Dym 408As from the late 80s, Shure 545Ds from the late 60s, 57s and 81s from the 80s, and some newer 58s and a Beta 52A. Have four of those Realistic omni Shures from the 80s I think. AKG 414, Neumann TLM103 and Sennheiser 421s from the 90s when I went full time with the studio.
    Anything from the last 20 years I consider new DAW era stuff, been through three complete generations of different machine/interface/converters/software in that time. In the last month I've had to recall three different projects from '96, so I make sure the current rig can open any DAW project back to '99.

13. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Oldest stuff I still use are a pair of 545s mics and an Alesis hd24xr

pbmw likes this.
  14. ieso

ieso Member

Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp from the late 80s / early 90s

Next oldest are my Tannoy monitors from around 2001 or 2002

15. dalezjc

dalezjc Member

1967 Telefunken reel-to-reel tape recorder. Still works.

zenmindbeginner likes this.
  16. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

17. zenmindbeginner

zenmindbeginner Silver Supporting Member

My AKG C414EB is from the late seventies or early eighties... I’m not sure how to pinpoint the exact year it was made though.

18. jmoose

jmoose Member

If you can post a pic I can narrow it down... otherwise is it a silver "EB" or black? Does it say P48 or not? There's several things that would identify the era, especially the capsule, which is one that can significantly alter the value of the mic.

Short version is the oldest are silver. The newest are black EB P48.