How old is the "chorus" effect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imjustadrummer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

I was listening to the local classic rock station in Seattle and began wondering how long ago chorus was introduced. Anyone know?

What were some of the first songs/albums to use chorus?

2. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

When was the first rotating or Leslie speaker built? :huh

3. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

You mean KZOK, aka the same ten ****ed-out songs by Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Boston, AC/DC, Hendrix, The Who, etc..??? :D

Cheers,

CJ

4. drolling

drolling Member

Late 60s, I think...

There's a "wah" thread currently running here with a pedalboard pic with a boomerang wah & a Roland Chorus Ensemble; a real big sucker with 'speed' knobs like they used on 60s Gibson amps/guitars. First one I've ever seen. Actually owned one in the early '70s.. God knows where it went

They definitely predate the standard BOSS pedals, tho' I think the first BOSS Chorus pedals have similar circuit/sound

5. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I'd say even earlier:
    [insert pompous wiki reference]

6. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

It was created in the studio way before it was an effect. Kinda like flange came around from the engineers holding the tape flange while copying tapes. Chorus is essentially the same thing are flange with more delay in the signal, which is 4-40 ms (where as flange is 1-4 ms).

For the record this effect has always existed, any time you have a group of people singing, they have a chorus effect. Which incidentally is why they named it chorus.

7. jay42

jay42 Member

I believe the OP is interested in the stompbox chorus, introduced by Boss in the mid 70's. The CE-1 is the sound of Toto...love 'em or hate 'em. Hold The Line, Rosanna, Africa, etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_Corporation

8. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Unfortunately, chorus was way overused in the 80's as we all know, but careful use of it can be a benefit.

Click it on next time you solo and it will make your sound pop out in the mix a little.

9. takakat

takakat Member

I think chorus was developed in mid to late 70's Phase shifter was the first similar effect made by Maestro in early 70's I think. They had technology in studio in late 60's but as a stomp box it was not till phase shifter was created by Maestro.

10. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

Robin Trower's song "Day of the Eagle" has chorusing, and that was in 1974.

11. rob2001

rob2001 Member

12. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

13. rob2001

rob2001 Member

As noted, the roots go back pretty far. Jet, thats a great article. But I think chorus as we know it, in pedal type form, came about in the early 70's and with the introduction of the Boss CE-1. That box is in a lot of classic rock, classic pop and Jazz music. The CE-1 was big in Funk music as well. I'm sure there were other chorus pedals then but i'd say the CE-1 was, and is still highly regarded.

14. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

The Roland CE-1 Chorus Ensemble was the first commercially available chorus unit. It was originally designed for keyboards....believe it or not. That explains the 50K volume pot.

The first time I ever heard it used in a recording was Larry Carlton's solo on "Green Earrings" from the Steely Dan's album "The Royal Scam".

15. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I believe the CE-1 was the first stereo Chorus pedal. Came out in 1976.Bit did not catch on until later according to the Boss History Book.Same chorus was in the JC120

16. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Robin says in a GP article that is likely an actual tape doubling effect not a pedal.

17. kpm62

kpm62 Member

Hands down the Roland JC 120 is the best chorus sound any one could ever get
    But who want to lug around a pedal that heavy.
    My favorite peadl was a cheap washburn LOCO Box till i sold it to my brother
    recently bought a danelectro FAB to fill out my acoustic sound
    17.00 and it sounds really good!

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

Joni Mitchell claims that it was developed by Roland for her, to emulate the 12-string sound she was looking for.

This may have been the JC-120, which she definitely used.

19. awallace

awallace Member

The first musical instrument application that I'm aware of (beyond stringed instruments with courses of strings) would be some of the early Hammond Organs circa 1936 which featured a 'Chorus Generator" onboard.

The Univibe would be the first effect I'm aware of that claimed to do a chorus sound (even though it's really phasing)...but JC120 is the first 'real' guitar chorus effect, predating the CE-1 Chorus Ensemble pedal by a year. The JC120 is a little big for most pedal boards though and it's not true bypass...

This all to the best of my knowledge but anyone who knows more- please share!

Aimish Wallace
    Diamond Pedals

20. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I've always wondered this as well.

From what I know, Roland developed the Jazz Chorus combo amplifier, which employs the first electronic Chorus effect in its circuitry. It came out in 1975- and yes I think it came from experiments by Joni Mitchell's band the previous year.

In 1976, Roland started an effects pedal division & called it Boss. Their first effect pedal was the CE-1 Chorus Ensemble, which was the chorus and vibrato circuit in the Jazz Chorus amp.