• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How old is the "chorus" effect?

I was listening to the local classic rock station in Seattle and began wondering how long ago chorus was introduced. Anyone know?

What were some of the first songs/albums to use chorus?

CJReaper

I was listening to the local classic rock station in Seattle and began wondering how long ago chorus was introduced. Anyone know?

You mean KZOK, aka the same ten ****ed-out songs by Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Boston, AC/DC, Hendrix, The Who, etc..??? :D

Cheers,

CJ

drolling

Late 60s, I think...

There's a "wah" thread currently running here with a pedalboard pic with a boomerang wah & a Roland Chorus Ensemble; a real big sucker with 'speed' knobs like they used on 60s Gibson amps/guitars. First one I've ever seen. Actually owned one in the early '70s.. God knows where it went

They definitely predate the standard BOSS pedals, tho' I think the first BOSS Chorus pedals have similar circuit/sound

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I'd say even earlier:
[insert pompous wiki reference]
Giovanni Gabrieli (c. 1554/1557 – 1612) was an Italian composer and organist...of the Venetian School, at the time of the shift from Renaissance to Baroque idioms. ...he concentrated on sacred vocal and instrumental music that exploited sonority for maximum effect.
Like composers before and after him, he would use the unusual layout of the San Marco church, with its two choir lofts facing each other, to create striking spatial effects. Most of his pieces are written so that a choir or instrumental group will first be heard from the left, followed by a response from the musicians to the right (antiphon). While this polychoral style had been extant for decades— Adrian Willaert may have made use of it first, at least in Venice—Gabrieli pioneered the use of carefully specified groups of instruments and singers, with precise directions for instrumentation, and in more than two groups. The acoustics were such in the church—and they have changed little in four hundred years—that instruments, correctly positioned, could be heard with perfect clarity at distant points. Thus instrumentation which looks strange on paper, for instance a single string player set against a large group of brass instruments, can be made to sound, in San Marco, in perfect balance.
In particular, one of his best-known pieces, In Ecclesiis, is a showcase of such polychoral techniques, making use of four separate groups of instrumental and singing performers, underpinned by the omnipresent organ and continuo.

Somniferous

It was created in the studio way before it was an effect. Kinda like flange came around from the engineers holding the tape flange while copying tapes. Chorus is essentially the same thing are flange with more delay in the signal, which is 4-40 ms (where as flange is 1-4 ms).

For the record this effect has always existed, any time you have a group of people singing, they have a chorus effect. Which incidentally is why they named it chorus.

scott1568

Unfortunately, chorus was way overused in the 80's as we all know, but careful use of it can be a benefit.

Click it on next time you solo and it will make your sound pop out in the mix a little.

takakat

I think chorus was developed in mid to late 70's Phase shifter was the first similar effect made by Maestro in early 70's I think. They had technology in studio in late 60's but as a stomp box it was not till phase shifter was created by Maestro.

rob2001

As noted, the roots go back pretty far. Jet, thats a great article. But I think chorus as we know it, in pedal type form, came about in the early 70's and with the introduction of the Boss CE-1. That box is in a lot of classic rock, classic pop and Jazz music. The CE-1 was big in Funk music as well. I'm sure there were other chorus pedals then but i'd say the CE-1 was, and is still highly regarded.

Trandy

Silver Supporting Member
The Roland CE-1 Chorus Ensemble was the first commercially available chorus unit. It was originally designed for keyboards....believe it or not. That explains the 50K volume pot.

The first time I ever heard it used in a recording was Larry Carlton's solo on "Green Earrings" from the Steely Dan's album "The Royal Scam".

I believe the CE-1 was the first stereo Chorus pedal. Came out in 1976.Bit did not catch on until later according to the Boss History Book.Same chorus was in the JC120

kpm62

Hands down the Roland JC 120 is the best chorus sound any one could ever get
But who want to lug around a pedal that heavy.
My favorite peadl was a cheap washburn LOCO Box till i sold it to my brother
recently bought a danelectro FAB to fill out my acoustic sound
17.00 and it sounds really good!

loudboy

Joni Mitchell claims that it was developed by Roland for her, to emulate the 12-string sound she was looking for.

This may have been the JC-120, which she definitely used.

awallace

The first musical instrument application that I'm aware of (beyond stringed instruments with courses of strings) would be some of the early Hammond Organs circa 1936 which featured a 'Chorus Generator" onboard.

The Univibe would be the first effect I'm aware of that claimed to do a chorus sound (even though it's really phasing)...but JC120 is the first 'real' guitar chorus effect, predating the CE-1 Chorus Ensemble pedal by a year. The JC120 is a little big for most pedal boards though and it's not true bypass...

This all to the best of my knowledge but anyone who knows more- please share!

Aimish Wallace
Diamond Pedals

I've always wondered this as well.

From what I know, Roland developed the Jazz Chorus combo amplifier, which employs the first electronic Chorus effect in its circuitry. It came out in 1975- and yes I think it came from experiments by Joni Mitchell's band the previous year.

In 1976, Roland started an effects pedal division & called it Boss. Their first effect pedal was the CE-1 Chorus Ensemble, which was the chorus and vibrato circuit in the Jazz Chorus amp.

Trending Topics