1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

How quiet is your carr slant 6v

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by majorledhead, May 15, 2006.

1. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

I have a fair amount of hum at idle coming from my slant 6v. channel 2 is worse, ( real noisy set for high gain ). channel 1 is by no means quiet either. Its been retubed, rebiased, an gone over by a tech. I know my house power isn't perfect, and I do use a power conditioner to keep the noise down. SO... I was just wondering how yours was ?

2. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Dead quiet. Probably the most his/noise free amp I've owned. :AOK

3. K-man

K-man Member

Mine is fairly noisy. When I first got it, I had a lot of hiss on the clean channel, but the OD channel was dead quiet. I thought that was strange, so I emailed Carr and they said it was normal.

Lately I've been trying NOS tubes and now I get a fair amount of hum as well. Not sure what I can do about it.

4. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

The one that I played with at a store was very noisy, now that I think about it. I'd wanted one for a while, but the real thing was quite a disappointment on many levels. The Mercury and Rambler are both very quiet and nice sounding though.

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Mine has a bit of that idle noise as well, so does a friend of mine's...I guess it's normal. I've heard worse. I was surprised that the Komet 60 has a similar noise.
    Greg

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I have a Rambler and I have to concur.........its the quietest amp I have ever owned. ............... Shielding everywhere..........the speaker wire is HUGE. A Very well made product. :dude

7. mangley

mangley Member

Depends on where it is plugged in. If it is in a circuit with a dimmer, it hums like a banshee. If plugged into a dedicated line (which I had installed) for my amps, it is stone quiet.

8. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Mine is dead quiet. What type of guitar are you using? I get a little noise with a strat but that happens with ANY amp I plug the Strat into. With my R7 the Slant 6 is dead quiet.

Budman

9. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

I just picked up a Mercury....ghostly quiet. A very well made product.

My wife smiles now~~~~~

:AOK

10. soulfixinman

soulfixinman Supporting Member

my Carr Slant 6v is dead quiet

11. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I have the Slant head. It's absolutely silent in all settings. If I get any noise at all I know the Slant is not the source.

12. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Mine is very quiet but its turned off right now.:)

Let me turn it on and see. Yep, still pretty darned quiet.

I don't have a problem with noise. I just wish it were a little brighter sounding.

13. aeolian

aeolian Member

Is the hum 60Hz, 120, or 180 Hz? Power conditioners and filters can do a reasonable job of filtering out RFI and other high frequency noise, but low frequency multiples of 60 Hz that come from motors (like a fridge) dimmers, or the newly popular fluorescent replacements for incandescent lights, are very difficult to filter.

14. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

My 6v (one of the first heads) had a hiss on both channels. i emailed Steve and he said he had a fix if I wanted to send it in. It really never bothered me, I've had much worse, so I never sent it in. I don't remember it hissing when I first got it, but I picked up used so it might have been there. But you might try emailing him.

15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Ancient thread bump!

I'm intrigued that some are quiet and some aren't. Mine has a pretty good hiss at idle. Any tips? It is an '03 combo.

16. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

What are your settings?

Does the hiss continue when you unplug your input?

Have you tried tightening your tube sockets?

Have you tried swapping with a known low-noise 12AX7?

How are your reverb tank connections?

There are many perspectives to explore on this question.

- T

17. 1bluzman

1bluzman Supporting Member

My slant 6 has white noise or hiss at idle also plugged in or not. I can seem to quiet it down a bit if i turn down the trebble or reverb ?