How sad it is when you believe in somebody's talent...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by edgarallan, May 5, 2015.

1. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

That's ridiculous. If they don't want to do it, there's nothing wrong with just saying they don't want to do it.

FWIW, I used to be acquaintances with Danny Gatton. At the time all I knew was he played guitar. I didn't have any idea he was one of the best players ever. I'll never forget the completely dismissive look he gave me when I suggested we play together some time. He didn't know anything about how well I did or didn't play, but I got pretty much the same look the queen of England would give a dishwasher who asked her out on a date.

2. Bunky

Bunky Member

can't tell if troll or just extremely...

3. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I’m currently in the flip side of this equation. A coworker told another guy in the company I play guitar. Who knows what he told them about it exactly. Now, this other guy wants me to play on a song he has recorded. I don’t know the guy and have never met him. The song is pretty bad (I won’t tell him this). Not to mention I live in a different city so it’s about a 1.5 hour drive each way to record this thing for free. I’m currently in two bands and looking to start a third so I don’t exactly have time to commit to something that has no return (i.e. good music or even $) and is going to be three hours of travel time just to help somebody out that I don’t know.

It’s like asking a girl out. She can say yes or no. Don’t get upset if she says no. Just move on.

4. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

This happens a lot to me in the car business, I give conferences on Future Proofing Dealerships and I can't tell you the amount of times someone has come up to me and asked if while I'm in town I can pass by the dealership to give a pep talk to their team.

It's a bit awkward when it happens, especially when you have to catch a flight and basically rinse and repeat ... then the times I said yes I end up in front of a bunch of tired dudes in a suburb used dealership, most of them kids who won't be here in a week or are back to school in the summer .... not that you don't want to help them, but you definitly feel you'd have more success/ impact working with pros in a pro environment for the time you commit pro-bono

5. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I read the thread twice...and did I miss something? Did Satriani actually say "no" or did he just basically say "I would consider it, but I'd need to check out the music first."

6. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

There's some self-entitlement from the OP that is quite beyond the levels I normally see in day-to-day life. Wow.

7. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

haha...ok, fair enough...but my question still holds.

It doesn't read to me that "famous guitar player" in question actually said "no". OP seems to be ticked that it wasn't an immediate and outright "yes"?

The fact that he left it open for a follow up (if I am interpreting it right, which is obviously suspect), is a HUGE opportunity. OP should have said, "Cool, how can I get you hear my new tracks?" and gone from there.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

This is also a craigslist world, run… don't walk.
    David Gilmour doesn't believe in me either, lol.:roll

It is SO SAD

9. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Brent Mason will record stuff per his facebook. He didn't list the price or if there needs to be a certain level of quality. I tried to convince the original fusion band I play with to contact him about playing on our current EP.... but I don't think they've heard of him. Or maybe they figure I'm good enough. :eek:

10. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Push the OP's attitude a bit further and you have a stalker.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Not sure there was a ever a time in human history that it was stated that just because you like what someone else does that they have to also like what you do. If this is what we've become I need to know.

12. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

I do not understand 2 things here: why the OP brings this to a public forum, and why some posters who seem in bad need of adult supervision take the opportunity to bash the OP.

To the OP: it may not seem obvious, but it is most probably a matter of etiquette. Did you ask the guitarist in question how much $$$ he charges for session work? Or do you expect him to do it for free? If it is the latter can I suggest you set aside a budget for your next project if you want to have "names" on it? It is only fair and is probably not as much money as you imagine.
    I assume this guy's income depends on his talent as a guitar player. You wouldn't ask an acquaintance who's a plumber to fix your shower for free, would you?

13. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

edgarallan, I've been in quite a few situations where I've declined to record on a project, sometimes because I felt that I may not have had anything to contribute, and sometimes because I didn't care for it.

Although it is hard not to take something like that personally, some professional musicians really work hard on their 'brand'. If you really want to 'jam' with him, why not ask to jam or take a lesson without any recording?

14. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I bet $5,000 could have changed his mind.

A buddy of mine paid some good money to have the keyboard player from Dream Theater play in their album.

He did, the problem was, it ate up all the budget and now the album sits unfinished which is a real shame.

Hopefully someday it will see the light of day.

15. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

thing #2 is a result of thing #1.

OP, if this guy is really as good as you indicate, he's got guys like you coming up to him all the time asking him about playing on "their new cd" or jamming with them or whatever. You probably need to have one or 2 cds on the books and maybe have been out playing shows for a while before you should expect any pros to want to get involved with your projects...

16. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Well, that certainly would make the OP's "putter flutter..."

:)

17. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

This is one of those Captain Obvious moments. I personally would not guest on someone else's album/gig/whatever unless I knew it was going to be a "certain quality" and I have no credentials.

18. Ben R

Ben R Member

To the OP...

Nothing personal - but, just how big is your ego? Why do you think that a famous musician owes you anything? Your relationship with that person is this...

* Musician makes/provides music that you appreciate and are inspired by.
    * You purchase the music, buy concert tickets, and support that musician (if you choose) in return.

He/she does not owe you any more than that. If that person plays for free on your record, it opens up a whole can of worms from the rest of his fans: "Hey! Why didn't he play on MINE???" Also - these people are busy and don't usually spend their precious free time doing this sort of thing for no pay (especially for strangers). In my opinion, you need to better understand (and come to terms with) a normal relationship between a celebrity and fan(s).

19. jota

jota Member

OP, I looked the guy up. It was easy to spot his name but I never heard of him so I had to google it.
    It's easy to understand from your music that he's on a different level.
    You need to really step back and listen to your work and be more critical. I think you would understand easily why a pro would decline the participation.
    Hint: It's not the recording quality.
    I really think you should improve your skills before you go out with new songs and records.
    By the way, I'm the kinda guy who is never confident enough to finish a song up so, what the hell do I know?!

20. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

To the OP. I listened to some of your stuff. Really great music. I can understand your point. Keep plugging away and it will happen for you. Maybe one day you will be asked by someone to play on their record.