How "scheduled" is your life.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by djdrdave, Mar 4, 2015.

1. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I am wondering how strict you are about scheduling events in your life.

In my case, I know what time I'll go to work (although sometimes I need to go earlier for special events), however the time I leave varies alot due to the workload. Some nights I need to work particularly late, but I prefer to know about these in advance. In any event the continually shifting workload changes things.

What I have noticed is something rather obvious outside of work. If I schedule to workout and have it planned ahead, I am much more likely to complete it. I have a running schedule, and need to put together a lifting schedule.

Most importantly I need to start scheduling time for guitar, instead of just finding random bits of time.

Tough to balance with a wife and family no doubt, but I think I just need to balance my time more. Otherwise work will fill the void.

What tools do you normally use? I know alot of people like Google Calendars.

2. GSHARP

GSHARP Member

I'm 45, no wife, no kids, except for work nothing is scheduled. I pretty much do whatever I want, whenever I want, cash permitting.

I hate scheduled stuff, I will do it only if I really need to. Otherwise, I prefer to improvise and I'm good at it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I loved those days. I had things I liked to do alot, but enjoyed the randomness.

My daughter is young (2) now, but I imagine as she grows more of my outside of work schedule will be planned around her activities

4. ThePeopleofColin

ThePeopleofColin Runs with Scissors

My wife's hobby is logistics. She is great at it.

5. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

That would be good. I imagine she is on time for things alot too. My wife is great, but being on time isn't her specialty. I think I've started to adopt some of her habits.

6. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

My week is usually booked solid from 6:30 am when I head to the pool, 8:30 am when I start work. I'll work till its time to either take my son to swim practice or my other son to soccer or ball. Thursday is band practice night so that night I am home. Weekends are little more relaxed other than morning workouts both days. The weekdays are basically one event running nonstop into another until it's time to go to bed. And I work from home.

7. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Extremely scheduled. I work 50-60hr weeks and have two young daughters. Weekends are primarily taken up with kid related activities or spending time with extended family/grandparents. I somehow manage to stay involved in 4 bands (though they don't always fire at the same time, thank goodness).

Basically, in my life right now, if it isn't scheduled, it isn't happening. I feel your pain.

8. prsflame

prsflame Member

I tend to start my day in the gym, around 3:30-4AM. If I don't go first thing in the morning, I won't go when I get home. I leave on the 6:40AM metro north train into NYC, and return home at 6:45, if not stuck late. Once I get home, I eat, play guitar for a few hours, and go to bed. No kids, and I have no idea how I would do this commute or maintain my career if I did, lol. YMMV.

In 2008, I stopped gigging, because my life really felt "over-scheduled". Every weekend there was a gig, and then I'd have weeknight rehearsals. Sometimes weeknight gigs as well. I'm 42 now, and I like knowing that once I leave work, my life is mine. I like being able to make weekend plans, and take vacations without worrying about gigs....I did not feel this way at 22, and never thought I would, but here I am.:)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  9. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

We are young "empty nesters". Im 39 and she's a few years older..

work is my only scheduled activity.

10. Stike

Stike Member

Pretty scheduled. I drive my son to school everyday, it's on the way to work. I pick him up in the afternoon. My daughter is a different school and has after school activities 2 days a week that I have to pick her up from. My son has a Boy Scout meeting once a week and my daughter is involved with a local Girls Rock summer program that has planning meetings every other Sunday afternoon. Add in 1-2 band practices and a gig for me a month and Id say I'm pretty scheduled. I am thankful though that neither one of them is doing any sports that require weekend traveling or early morning practices.

11. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

ooh.. those are long days man....

I have kids and wife.. I thought getting up at 4:45am to work out was early... and I'm generally home around 4pm... only takes me 15 minutes to get to work

12. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I find that if I plan my time I end up accomplishing
    more of what I want to do. So for me a Schedule is necessary.
    And honestly I enjoy knowing what I'm going to be doing.

I run my company; I'm married; I have a very bright
    and quick 10 year old; and we have a very active social
    life -

13. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

From the moment my eyes open until the point at which they close. I make lists in my sleep.

14. Bozak

Bozak Member

I schedule nothing, I don't even know what I'm eating for dinner until it's time, then I go shopping.

15. DamianL

DamianL Member

That sounds absolutely awful.

But, whatever floats yer boat!

:dunno

16. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I'm in college and also work so it's pretty scheduled for me. I don't use any scheduling system but usually I'll just make little notes on my phone. They days I'm not in school I'm working.

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I try and schedule as little as possible.... I like winging it. Work is pretty much set though. :red

18. option1

option1 Member

I literally could not survive on that schedule and the associated minimal sleep. More power to you for coping with it, but I damn well couldn't.

Neil

19. prsflame

prsflame Member

Yeah, it's not great, but I realized, I made a typo. I actually arrive at my home train station by 6:45 and I'm home at 7. I think the other way made it seem like I don't leave work until 6:45, which would be worse.:D Sometimes I work late, but fortunately, 95% of the time I'm out of work by 4:30-5PM.

20. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

I am not a pro player, only a hobbyist. I manage to log at least 45 minutes on one of my guitFiddles everyday and at least once a week, I deny myself any 'play'. Typically, it's Friday eve and I force myself to practice for at least 90 minutes.

What do I use to manage my time? Braincells and a strong urge to be done with work so I can play with my many toys.