How should I eq my amp in a vocal only PA gig

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Chance Terrill, Jan 10, 2020.

1. mixsit

mixsit Member

Just for the record, and offer from where I came -and went.. Post 1 and 10 there.
    Not to say you would find enough joy from a pair of tens, but to 'show the problem, and possible solution :>)
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/considering-a-2-10-wide-dispersion-cab.1694232/
    That's to say, the payoff comes- ten feet out working across the stage front.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 4:05 PM
  2. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

One of the bands I am in insist on not micing the guitars live, so I eq the vocals around the guitars not the guitar around the vocals. I pretty much just roll the HPF up to about 300hz and let automatic feedback suppression take care of the rest and thats about it. Works out pretty good. Considering that band doesn't get paid very much it doesn't bother me.

3. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Except for the cheapest ones that don't have input gain controls on each channel, including some models by Behringer, Peavey, Rockville, Harbinger, etc. Running a hot signal into these risks some nasty clipping. Don't ask me how I know this. :anon

OP, if you are un-mic'ed, the most important factor in getting decent guitar sound throughout the room is getting your amp at least as high as the heads of your audience. Otherwise, most of your sound above 100hz will stop at the wall of bodies.

If that isn't possible, just get in the beam and make sure it sounds good to you & the first row.

4. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Nothing that a Behringer GI-100 Ultra DI won't handle. Just put it between your head and cab and send it to the PA with both pad switches engaged.

RupertB likes this.