How should I order these pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by caxelrod, Mar 2, 2012.

1. caxelrod

caxelrod Member

Help me order these, please... is there a general rule that I am overlooking? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Here's how I'd run them: muff, tuner, torn's peaker, phaser, delay.

3. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

No rules being broken there, but you could certainly get different sounds with different orders. For example, the phase 90 will sound different before the muff, and also after the torn's peaker. The delay will sound different at the end of the chain. Also, if you're stacking the dirt, you could try peaker into muff, which would also give a different sound. The tuner can go anywhere, since its true bypass. Whatever sounds good to you is the goal of course, and if you like it the way it is, leave it.

4. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

If the "tuner" being referenced is an actual tuner for tuning the guitar, I would put it first. Putting it after effects could cause bad readings because of overtones. Phasers and delays tend to be a bit noisey, for that reason I would put the muff before them. Putting it after them could cause it to boost any racket they are putting out.

5. caxelrod

caxelrod Member

Thanks guys... when you say tuner or muff first, does that mean first linked to the guitar or first from the amp?

6. dshobe

First from guitar.

7. jb4674

jb4674 Member

is that a delay or a flanger?

8. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

I tend to like Phase 90s before any kind of dirt, so I'd go Phase 90 => then the dirt pedals (in whatever order you think sounds best stacked) => tuner =>delay. if that's some kind of mod pedal, then tuner last.

9. caxelrod

caxelrod Member

Thats an Ibanez Ad9 delay.

10. caxelrod

caxelrod Member

Where do you think I should put the compressor I'm about to get?

By the way, getting responses (here and on another board) that are all over the map... tuners first... tuners last... dirt before phasers... dirt last... muff first... muff last...

Guess its all just a preference thing?

11. dshobe

Yep, except fuzzes like being first in line. I'd run th comp 3rd in line after the tuner.

12. Randingo

Randingo Member

I'm not sure about the Torn's Peaker, but the Muff is not a fuzz that really cares about being first in line, and I think the Peaker is the same. So what you have is basically a lot of pedals that don't really need to be in any particular place except for the delay which should run last as a rule. If you don't stack the two fuzzes, then their order doesn't matter; however, if you do stack, you need to listen to which order sounds better to you. One thing I'm quite certain of is that the comp should come before any fuzz because it will raise the noise floor--essentially amplifying the noise generated by the fuzz. Phase sounds very different before and after fuzz. You might like it before both of them, between the two, or after. Again, listen and choose what sounds best to you. If I were to set them up, and assuming you might want to stack the fuzzes, I'd go: Tuner->Comp->Phaser->Peaker->Muff->Delay.

Have fun experimenting.

13. gpro34

gpro34 Member

A phase 90 sounds like **** later in the chain. With the phase 90, I think earlier is better. I always place it before my overdrives. I go tuner-phase 90- compressor (Mirage which acts different than most) overdrive-chorus-delay.

Sometimes I go tuner-Mirage compressor-phase 90--overdrive-chorus-delay.

14. acemcguire

acemcguire Supporting Member

I agree that the Phase 90 has to go before fuzz and overdrive. Otherwise it seems to cut too much signal and really squashes the tone at certain points in the sweep. But in front, it's great. Gives you that Van Halen "Eruption" sound (among many other things of course). And yeah put the delay last. Fuzz after delay adds a lot of weird overtones to the delay.

15. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

you don't have to put the tuner after the fuzz in this case, because it's true bypass. The problems with fuzzes and tuners arise from the buffer circuit that most tuners have.