How should I take care of this 1959 Gibson handed down to me?

ToneScreamer

My father is getting along in years and doesn't play anymore due to hand pain, ect. For Christmas he handed down to me his 1959 Gibson J45 sunburst. Nice Christmas eh? :) Wish it was the electric '59 version, ha, but I can't complain for getting a beauty like this. :) I play it a few times a week now. Keep it in its case when not playing. When I got it I clean and oiled the fretboard and used a polish on the body. Looks great, but my concern is the wear that is already on it. Looks fine for something that old. Has amazing tone and sound.

There is wear on the soundhole bottom edge. This is my main concern, not making or getting this worse. I don't hit the soundhole when I strum, so I'm not worried about me making it worse, more so I wonder about time causing more erosion/wear. The back has scratches which aren't very deep, mostly superficial. Would you keep these or try to restore? I don't want to decrease any value on it. I'll never sell it, but still want to keep it at its best. Any thoughts? Or just leave it alone and play it as is?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/topgun121/DSC_0582_zps63517a69.jpg

Hwy14

Nice guitar. I'm no expert, but the wear that concerns you us superficial. The sound hole would probably only get worse due to abuse. My suggestion is, outside of regular maintanence, to leave it be. It us beautiful the way it is. An old item- whatever it is, is only "original" once. People usually put a premium on unrestored vintage collectibles, whether it be cars, guitars, lamps, or furniture, etc... Those are character marks from years of love. People pay to have that look on new guitars. Take care of it and enjoy, that should be the priority!

Holy crap!

Awesome guitars and that one looks typical of old j45's for what they are.

Tone work horses.

Imagine that you're serving life in prison.

You've already been in 30 years.

And now a hot new female prison guard wants to have dirty penitentiary sex with you.

That is what that guitar is

musicman10_1

Silver Supporting Member
I believe that the best way to care for an instrument is to play it regularly. Keep your humidity levels where they need to be and put it in a case when not in use - otherwise, just play it as often as you can.

Yossi

You may want to let me hold on to it for you, I'll take great care of it.

Just kidding. Get it set up from a qualified guitar tech then make sure it's kept in the case and you have proper humidity. Oh, and play it!

SPROING!

Don't let it get dried out and then play the heck out of it. Unless something is broken, leave it alone.

russ

Silver Supporting Member
It's supposed to look just like it does.
Just Play it often, keep it clean and humidified.
Enjoy it for the rest of your days.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Seems like it is a perfect item to be played and cherished. I would not "gig" with it.
Also, if you aren't good friends with a trusted guitar tech, now is the time.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
Looks good to me. I'd have a really good tech set it up and play the crap out of it, but make sure not to get any real bad physical damage or anything like that.... If you notice and wood separation have it checked out immediately, but from what I can see you're all good.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't "restore" jack on that guitar. It's PERFECT the way it is. Like others have said, take it to a competent tech for a checkup, keep it humidified and play it in good health my man. That is one SWEET guitar and a keepsake for sure!

Doing anything to that guitar other than playing or humidifying it is the equivalent of polishing and cleaning the patina off of antique furniture--leave it like it is.

Joeld

Your best bet is leave it as is...keep it maintained like you are (string changes, clean, polish, and maintain correct humidity) and you'll be fine. Oh and play it!

photoguy

Mine is 6 years newer than yours, and like yours shows signs of being played. I don't worry about the wear personally. I do clean it every once in a while, but that's about it.

Trending Topics