How similar is the Dirty Shirley MOD as compared to a Dirty Shirley amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, Apr 19, 2015.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have a Marshall style amp that has the Dirty Shirley mod. The amp has a ridiculous amount of gain. So much to the point that the amp sounds congested/need more clarity.
    Yes I turn the gain down, back off on my guitar. I have also put lower gain tubes in V1 and I tend to like the fullness that the Ax7 offers.
    Thanks

Here is a clip of the amp with gain on 1 and guitar backed off.
    http://www.mediafire.com/listen/4bmw39d33h0dicm/Song_idea_in_eminor_4.18.15.wav

2. Miracle Man

Miracle Man Member

I don't think there are many DS mods out there to be honest, but I'm sure Friedman will tweak an amp if the customer wants something specific so yours might have more gain than a production model. Are you sure that what you have is actually the DS mod? Either way, just looking at the circuit, it should have more gain than a JCM800 2203/2204.

3. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

Did Friedman actually mod your amp? or is it a clone mod done by someone else?

4. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I've played a Dirty Shirley numerous times. I wouldn't characterize it as having a "ridiculous" amount of gain. It has lots of clarity and dynamics.

5. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

I spoke to Dave last night, and he's still not taking any amp mod bookings.
    Considering how popular his amps are right now, it's not surprising at all, the man must be super busy!
    But any mod he does to an amp compared to one of his own models, is gong to be a supped up Honda vs a Ferrari. Your Honda will sound amazing, YES AMAZING, but his Ferrari will always be better. His line of amps are made with the best parts he can get his hands on, hence the price!
    Your Modded amp will be made with whatever you have in it, and he will modded it to the best of his abilities, given the parts you've presented him.

6. marshall2553

marshall2553 Member

That clip is a good bit dirtier than my DS would be with the gain on 1 using PAF-ish humbuckers. Especially if your guitar volume is rolled down. Are your pickups on the hot side? I can get nice cleans with the gain around 2 or a little lower, though there may be a bit of hair if I dig in.

7. michael.e

I am using a Lollar Imperial in the guitar. I put an RCA ax7 in V1 and it made quite a marked difference. Much more clarity.
    I am sure that since this is not Dave's full circuit, it is not going to sound like a Dirty Shirley, I am more concerned with the volume circuitry. That said, I would not necessarily call this amp a Honda. It is a Metro built "6was9" prototype JTM45/100 running el34's. The amp was sent to Chris Merren for a full set of his transformers/hardware, and he also did some circuit massaging. Lot's of old Mustards in this. After all that, the amp was sent to Dave for the Dirty Shirley mod, a Fat switch and a loop. It does sound killer and I can go from cleanish to dirt with the brush of my hand. Even more responsive than my old Wreck type amps.

8. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

I remember that one for sale here recently.. did you trade something for it? The seller told me he took a trade for it but maybe that was not you. I think he also said it had too much gain for him. Is it similar to the brown eye level of gain?

9. michael.e

Yes, that was the scenario/me. Yes, a TON of gain and I am in the low input. I just did a quick vid with the gain at 9 o'clock. Nevermind the playing..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  10. marshall2553

marshall2553 Member

Yeah sounds like it has a bit more gain than my DS and I kind of wish mine had a little less than it does. I never run the gain over 12 o'clock on it. I've tried a 5751 in V1 which does clean it up somewhat. I love the amp but it has way more gain than I was expecting.

11. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

Well it does sound nice... I'm thinking it does have more gain as well. I guess you will have to decide if that level of break up is going to work for your situation? Is it a loud amp with punch and push back when you crank the master?

12. marshall2553

marshall2553 Member

I dropped a 5751 back into v1 of my DS today and that puts the gain at about the perfect spot for me without otherwise affecting the amp's tone. Using the low input with the gain at 12 o'clock is a very light crunch that cleans up with picking dynamics or rolling your guitar volume back a couple of notches. I'm not sure that would get you where you want to be, but it's a fairly cheap experiment.