How Soon Is Now... Help Needed

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Tootone, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:18 AM.

1. Tootone

Tootone Member

After 30 odd years it's about time somebody told me wtf is going on with the guitar harmonies on this song.

Lets get the low hanging fruit out of the way first...

Yes... its tremolo. In fact, many loosely synced tremoloes with a 1/16th gated sidechain compressor to lock it all in.

Yes... he used a capo on the 2nd Fret.

Yes... there are multiple overdubbed guitar parts triggered from loops.

Here's what I need to know.

The F# Tremolo'd chug..... does it stay on F# right through the song? This is what I hear. All the other chord changes are played over a constant, never changing F# Major chord... like a "pedal tone" ... but more of a "Pedal Chord". I know everyone, including the guy who wrote the tab plays it F#---F#---F#---A-B-
    I just don't seem to be able to hear that Tremolo Guitar change pitch?? Am I going mad?

The "Howling Siren" repeating phrase. Is this a guitar part that was recorded and then played backwards through masses of reverb?
    If the answer is Yes...
    How do you play the original guitar part (the forwards version)?
    Is it just one or multiple guitars?
    What notes are they?

If the answer is No.... how on God's Earth does he get that "crescendo" swell into the notes? I see people play it with a slide... just the top note... but that sounds thin and empty. Not mocking... I would love to know how Marr did it.

I am hoping there are at least a few musical geniuses here with perfect pitch to help me out.

Thanks.

monty likes this.
  2. nikoolaa

nikoolaa Member

As for the Tremolo part it is hard to hear correctly what it's played when the chord changes from F# (due to a busy mix), but F# power chord (244 on a bass strings) is almost certainly always on. The "Siren" phrase is as I hear it AC interval down to G#B (A and G# being the lower notes of the two), with a lot of reverb thrown in, so it couldn't be properly played with a slide unless you change from standard tuning (let's say tune the G string up a semi tone to G#, and then slide B and G strings from 13th to 12th fret).

p.s. As for "How to get the swell with "siren" phrase" - I don't know if it was played backwards on a recorded version, but what I'd do in a live situation is use the volume pedal.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 8:20 PM
    Tootone likes this.
  3. Tootone

Tootone Member

Do you hear the F# Guitar droning all the way through too, or just the bass?

Thanks for the reply.

4. nikoolaa

nikoolaa Member

What I think is going on is that the F# tremolo part is going all the time, perhaps being mixed with a lower volume when the chord changes hit, with some additional notes being overdubbed with the same tremolo effect (like the low E note when the E chord comes in).

Tootone likes this.
  5. Tootone

Tootone Member

I will dig out my looper, leave the F# running and jam the chords over it... see how it sounds in the flesh.

6. Tootone

Tootone Member

So...

I put the stereo track on my Reaper DAW and started messing around with the pans... and... the chugging tremolo guitar does go to the A and the B. But here's the "kicking myself" moment.... leave the track running to around 5:05 and everything drops out except the tremolo part and you can hear the A and B without all the futzing around. Doh! :jo

While on my daily work travels, I found on the web that the "Siren" was recorded 100% Wet delay and reverb... I presume this meant "No Dry"... but for the life of me I cannot find the source of that info again. :jo.... Now I'm not even sure if it was about this song or another Smiths song.... aaargh!

Page of Cups likes this.