How to achieve this specific 1980s tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EFH, Mar 13, 2018.

1. bottom crawler

bottom crawler Member

Apr 18, 2017
    That was my first thought, Rocktron Piranha or something similar ftw! :)

I think Herman Li is inspired by video games a lot and he even has few lessons on yt how to make pac-man sounds on guitar and such.. :D
    One of my main inspirations for picking up bass was Doom soundtrack, which draws a lot from Pantera, Alice in Chains and AC/DC.
    FokenBusker and Auditory Driving like this.
  2. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    One thing to consider is some of the older Zoom units, like the 9002. Those were right in that 80's metal wheelhouse. And if not that....then a Metal Zone or Rat, with a chorus or flange in front of it, scooped amp, and a little verb.
    monty and bottom crawler like this.
  3. Michel347

Michel347 Member

Feb 12, 2013
    St-Jean, QC
    To get that tone I'm using a Marshall type amp, slightly boosted with a Marshall JH-1 in OD mode and to get that type of 80's chorus a Boss CE-3
  4. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

May 30, 2017
    DUUUUDE the Doom first stage theme was the first guitar solo i ever learned \m/
    bottom crawler likes this.
  5. monty

monty Member

Mar 2, 2009
    parts unknown
    Forgot about the Zooms! Yeah those will serve up some classic 80s tones fast.
    LordByron likes this.
  6. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Boss DS-1 into a Boss CE-2 (or similar). Scoopy mids, biting treble & thickened up with a good chorus.
    LordByron likes this.
  7. EFH

EFH Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the advice.

With regards on how to set up my ME-25, except for the flanger, I have dialed everything else in already, and whereas the effects themselves can get very close, the 'voice' itself of the guitar couldn't quite get there.

What seems to make the most difference with the ME-25 so far is actually switching the guitars. My Yamaha with its SH2 and SH4 pickups gives a very slight hint of the 1980s tone I'm looking for.

I have checked all gear listed here and so far what seems to be shockingly close to be an easy way to achieve that 'voice' is the Zoom 9002 unit mentioned by superdave2001. I checked this video:

After watching this, in some brief parts of that demo ( 1:04 ~ 1:07, briefly at 1:29 too ), it seems like what this unit can do was taken straight out of the song from Tommy Tallarico I posted. That thing seems to nail it! I really like it.

Downside is.... these units were launched in 1989 and are long gone by now. Used units are hard to come by, beaten up and expensive, especially here in Europe. Is anyone familiar with these units? Is there any successor ( maybe from Zoom themselves ) which consistently kept its attributes?

I have checked a few other videos of the 9002 as well and it seems to really have a characteristic tone, at least to me.

Another option I considered as well as mentioned here is the Rat. The FATRAT pedal seems interesting as well but I haven't seen any demo that nailed it like the Zoom 9002.

Thanks again,

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    bottom crawler likes this.