How to add "dimension" / Gilmour related

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thames, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Thames

Thames Member

Ok... let 's try this one.

Im back into a PF tribute project.

Id like to give my tone that big/lush/dimensional tone that Gilmour is famous for. I think I have a fine delay (DD-20), and a fine chorus (very old long-dash CE-2!), my Luxury Drive as powerboost, '70 for fuzz, OCD for drive.

However, my SmallStone isnt "right on" I think. Its too pronounced for Gilmour stuff IMO. Ive heard the Phase 90 is much more Gilmour-esque, and my bandmate has one and I agree.

I also had a Dlx Electric Mistress Ri in the past, it was kinda cool at low settings, but not much usable. And I may need a vibrato/univibe thing too. I tried the MicroVibe, but was NOT usable for anything else unless BREATHE riff.

Any idea ? Am I missing something cool on the market right now, that could do Phaser, vibrato, univibe ?

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

You could get a Electric Mistress and get Howard Davis to mod it to pre-deluxe specs. I hear they sound much better.

3. fuel37

fuel37 Member

I use my Boss CE-5 alot for floyd stuff.... I find it's alot more transparent. Volume, speed and rate all straight up and high and low cranked.... you can't really hear the chorus.... just makes it sound lush and 3D.

Really depends on all your gear though i'd say.

check out:
    http://www.tonefromheaven.com
    http://www.gilmourish.com

4. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I use the DEM for my Floyd tribute: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=1591 . It is a bit more pronounced than I would like. It would be cool if it had a Mix knob to tone down the effect some. But the DEM is key to getting some of Gilmour's Wall and Animals tones. My understanding is the EM is an even deeper effect than the DEM, so I'm doubtful that that would help matters.

For the phase/vibe stuff, I'm using a Retro-Sonic Phaser that sounds great, especially for the WYWH stuff.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think there are a lot of good ideas for more "dimension" which Gilmour also uses.

One thing though, I noticed also that he almost constantly uses a combination of finger vibrato, and whammy bar...that is also an effect.

But I think too, there are times when he uses effecty effects, and other times where maybe it is a subtly use of a lot of effects...like say a chorus that is not set to go very deep, or fast...

Another thing I noticed, may not be relavent to PF, but using a "vibrato" pedal (like the Marshall vt-1, or a vibe set to vibrato instead of chorus) and not setting it too deep..makes it hardly noticeable, but gives sort of a moving feel to solos.

7. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

the newest guitar world has a 5 page article on gilmour's gear from day 1.

cool thing....it was written, as a hobby, by HC forumite sasquatch.

8. michael_smurphy

michael_smurphy Member

This might give you a clue...

For the Mods...

MXR Phase 90 or and old Mistress is important the Chorus is to add space on the second amp..

I add a Univibe/Whammy/Wah loop between the GE7 and the Mistress when needed..

[​IMG]

9. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Nice job on that clip !!!!

10. daveg777

daveg777 Member

WOWWY! GOSH! YIKS!

NICE beyonds words Smurphy.... :AOK

11. michael_smurphy

michael_smurphy Member

12. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member