• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How to add RCA connectors to old reverb cables?

timmers

Silver Supporting Member
Hey tech experts -

I've got a silverface Princeton Reverb that I'm trying to upgrade a bit. Step one is to replace the orig reverb tank, which is busted. Thanks to some great advice from TGP'ers to an earlier question I'd posted, I picked up a (correct!) replacement tank from Accutronics.

The new tank is here, ready to go and has jacks for RCA connections. Thing is, the reverb send & return cables from the amp itself don't have RCA plugs on the end, but rather the old-school type of what looks like bare wire-ish on the end.

Anyone know how if it's possible to 'install' RCA jacks onto the ends of those cables, and if so, a little step-by-step on how to do it?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks folks!

TweeDLX

Anyone know how if it's possible to 'install' RCA jacks onto the ends of those cables, and if so, a little step-by-step on how to do it?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks folks!
Are you set on using the pre-existing cables? You could go to your local Radio Shack and buy a couple cables pre made...? Stereo cable? Might work.

Mike

timmers

Silver Supporting Member
Are you set on using the pre-existing cables?
Don't have a preference, really - I'd love to upgrade those as well, but doing so would require installing RCA jacks on the 'receiving' end on the amp itself (on the chassis), which seems like a bigger deal than just RCA-ifying the existing cables on the 'verb tank end of things.

Good idea? Bad idea?

mark norwine

The amp should already have RCA jacks on the chassis.......doesn't yours?

If not, your amp has been modded.....

timmers

Silver Supporting Member
The amp should already have RCA jacks on the chassis.......doesn't yours?

If not, your amp has been modded.....
Yeah, this guy is a bit of a frankenstein: originally a Princeton, later modded by a tech to a Princeton Reverb. Crazy...

RussB

low rent hobbyist
Soldering RCA male jacks to old and tarnished outside shielded coax cable without melting the jacket is tough stuff for even the most experienced...

donnyjaguar

Like Russ says. Sometimes you can strip back an inch or two of cable and still have enough length to let it reach the reverb tank. This way you're more likely to get into the cleaner shielding and inner conductor. Use the smallest RCA plugs you can find as you don't need the strain relief function of larger connectors.

TweeDLX

You might be better off just adding the RCA jacks to the chassis, which is a relatively simple thing. Then you can buy pre-made cables to run between amp & reverb pan. Might save yourself a headache or two down the road that way.

Mike

Trending Topics