How to age tuners

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by AD, Aug 9, 2006.

1. AD

AD Supporting Member

I'm looking at putting a set of locking Grover tuners on a guitar - How would one go about on aging the tuners? I like the look of the Grover tuners on the JP Les Paul (ideally, would like to buy a set of aged locking tuners)

Thanks

alex

2. wilder

wilder Member

If they're nickel you can age them with PCB etchant solution. You can get it at radio shack. You just sumberge the part in it for 2-3 minutes and them wipe it clean or wash it off. I've aged pickup covers and bridges with it. It just takes the shine off. You really need to do some simulated wear before this or it looks too even. For Grover's I would take the buttons off and age these separately. Then the hard part would be aging the bodies without completely submerging them. I'm sure you'd want to avoid getting the etchant solution into the lubricated portion of the tuner. I've also heard of but haven't tried using muriatic acid fumes to age nickel hardware.

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

its ok to completely submerge the tuners in the etchant solution...just remeber to rinse them really well, and re-lube them. worked ok for me...just dont leave them in too long cause the plating on the buttons is really thin....efinately dont leave them in for 2 or 3 min. like posted above...you'll ruin them.

4. wilder

wilder Member

Thanks for the info on the tuner buttons, Pete. I've only used this stuff on tailpieces bridges and pickup covers so I have no experience with that.

5. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

You can put them in a small covered aquarium that has a bowl of muriatic acid in it. The vapors will age nickel parts...

FWIW, YMMV, PAYOR.

6. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

.......the vapor thing works with PCB etchant too. Degrease exposed surfaces before you do though-I've seen a few bridges/P.U. covers w/fingerprints etched in them....

7. codeorama

codeorama Member

I got locking grovers on my LP Custom, I've played out with it about 3 months or so, used my sweaty fingers to tune the guitar and didn't wipe it down.. the tuners are aged pretty well, in a short period of time.

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

My LP and SG still have pretty new looking metal parts, but just not wiping them down very often is starting to do the job naturally. So I am not trying to rush it. Now, I suppose if I had a guitar where everything was already aged looking, and I put something new and wanted to match it up, I might consider artificially aging it. To me, the metal ages pretty fast on its own, especially if your body oils are acidic. Plastic parts, on the hand, are a different matter. It seems the time involved is much more than metal to get the real aging on them. I have a couple of parts (whammy tip and knobs) on one Strat that I intend to soak in tea whenever I get around to it (just too damned white).

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Just play the guitar and they age naturally.

10. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

The total oposite work good too, I never touched one guitar I had for a couple month since it need a little work; I really didn't have time for. Opened it up to find the "new" nickel grovers were not so new anymore...

11. RDS

RDS Member

If the parts are NOT nickel and are chrome- it's really hard to age them. Chrome is some good stuff- most acid won't do a thing to it. I tried.