How to avoid clipping in Garageband?

radiohead625

I'm brand new to recording in general and I'm somewhat overwhelmed. I'm plugging my guitar into a Scarlett 2i2 and then directly into my Mac. I've learned via Youtube to set the input on the 2i2 to just before clipping(red ring). However, in Garageband my guitar is still clipping.

I don't understand the db sliders(or dbs in general), but I realized the guitar is going into the red on these sliders no matter where I set them. What am I doing wrong?

cubistguitar

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with the Scarlett and many other low end audio interfaces, the quick cheap fix is too use a DI box and XLR cable to access the mic pre and it should stop the clipping and give enough gain. In other words, you haven't done anything wrong, your interface just promises more than it can actually do.

radiohead625

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with the Scarlett and many other low end audio interfaces, the quick cheap fix is too use a DI box and XLR cable to access the mic pre and it should stop the clipping and give enough gain. In other words, you haven't done anything wrong, your interface just promises more than it can actually do.
Basically I'd have to put a DI box in between my guitar and the interface? I'm kind of confused. Sorry, like I said I'm a total newb.

Is there another interface that you'd recommend?

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
I haven't used the Scarlett before but I usually have the input gain set well below clipping on my Apogee, nowhere close to red or even yellow. There is also a track volume on GarageBand that I take down a little bit. I also uncheck the box where GarageBand automatically adjusts the recording level.

radiohead625

I haven't used the Scarlett before but I usually have the input gain set well below clipping on my Apogee, nowhere close to red or even yellow. There is also a track volume on GarageBand that I take down a little bit. I also uncheck the box where GarageBand automatically adjusts the recording level.
Thanks you, I'll give this a shot.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
Make sure you aren't use the "Line/Inst" toggle on the input in the wrong place. One of them is a fixed boost of some sort that will be too loud no matter where you have the knob set.

chillybilly

I have a similar setup (Scarlett/iMac) although I use PreSonus Studio One. I've had no trouble with the input levels although, as a poster above notes, you can't place total trust in the lighted rings on the interface...they give a 'neighborhood' indication of signal strength but the computer aka DAW aka workstation aka recording software will be the final arbiter of signal strength ie how much it can handle. The line/inst toggle is definitely a point to check.

For better or worse, the sliders only come into play during playback/mixing, not during recording. So setting the record level is a function of the Scarlett knobs - at least it is for me.

How do the meters (on the Scarlett or in GarageBand) respond when you turn your guitar volume knob down? Is it absolutely vital to have the guitar control on 10? Are you using an amp simulator in the software?

Speaking of signal strength, that measurement is in dB (decibels) just as sound levels through the air are. Nothing too mysterious, it's just a unit of measure as feet are to distances.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
The Scarlett 2i4 doesn't seem to share this problem according to reports/reviews, or at least it can be mitigated with the pad switch. The other option is to buy a DI and go guitar->DI->2i2. The lowly Behringer DI100 is cheap enough and doesn't suck.

3dognate

Silver Supporting Member
Basically I'd have to put a DI box in between my guitar and the interface? I'm kind of confused. Sorry, like I said I'm a total newb.

Is there another interface that you'd recommend?
Yes (and this is not a bad thing in and of itself the High impedance of the DI input will load your guitar down properly.) Any passive DI will do a good job.. Radial JDI is kind of the Standard but even a Behringer passive DI does a good job... (it's only a few jacks and a transformer in a passive DI.)

cubistguitar

Yes (and this is not a bad thing in and of itself the High impedance of the DI input will load your guitar down properly.) Any passive DI will do a good job.. Radial JDI is kind of the Standard but even a Behringer passive DI does a good job... (it's only a few jacks and a transformer in a passive DI.)
right, chances are the signal may be preferable to recording into the inst. input, and you access the decent mic preamp, win win, you will eventually need a DI for something anyway

so yes, gtr 1/4" cable to DI - XLR cable to mic input on sound card

Trending Topics