how to boost the volume in an attenuated amp concept?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearlovin, Jan 30, 2006.

1. gearlovin

gearlovin Supporting Member

Hi guy's

I'v got the same problem with either my komet 60 or bruno underground45
    I have to used them with an attenuator to play live in smaller clubs, how do you guy's get your volume boost for your lead?

I've try to used either my klon or cream tone but I cannot get that much boost....more kinda preamp saturation but no more volume.

What did you used to get great rythm tone and louder lead?

thanks

Carl

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

I built a volume stomp box (volume cut) that I run in the loop. I have it attenuated about 1/4 turn or so and when I want to solo I just turn it off and BOOM~ solo away! Cool thing about this is you control the solo volume. I got the circuit from a very respected amp builder, James Peters. It works like a charm, for me that is.

4. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I modified my Airbrake to be footswitchable between two settings. I don't know which attenuator you're using, but I'm happy to share if it's the airbrake and you're interested.

5. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

I saw a guy who mic'ed up his cab then ran the mic cable to a volume pedal that was equipped with a minimum volume control then he ran a cable from the "out" of the volume pedal into the mixing console. You'll need to get an XLR to 1/4 cable or XLR to 1/4 adaptor to plug into the volume pedal. I have gigged like this myself and even took it one step further by running some effects(delay/reverb) between the mic and mixing board. It works great if you get some of the mix to come back through the monitor(s) to hear a bit of the solo boost and effects.

There was a guy who mods Power Brakes with a solo boost that was footswitchable. I would think that attenuator manufacturers would make this an option. I think it would be a good selling point as everyone needs to boost their solos.

6. gearlovin

cool
    I was thinkin about this option but I was not sure at 100% it was secure
    I play with either the thd hotplate or weber mass

I already have a lot of boost option but just get more gain no more volume.

thanks everyone.

7. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

If you're getting just gain and no volume than you have the amp volume up too high and you've simply run out of headroom.

You'll prob'ly need to back down the amps volume and attenuate a little less.

8. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I use a Volume Pedal in the loop. Works for me...

Richard

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

This problem has been kicked around here before. You'll get a lot of suggestions that require more power, but you have none.

In the meantime I think, maybe, there has been an attenuator with a bypass or 2-channel operation, hit the market, somewhere?:confused:

Otherwise, IMO, a slave amp, from the attenuator out, is the easiest solution to boost once you are out of headroom.

10. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I use a Hotcake with my Komet and Komet brake. Gain knob all the way off, presence knob all the way off and the volume at 3-4:00. Works for me!

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't the Ultimate Attenuator address this issue? Sorry I only vaguely remember someone mentioning this.

12. 908SSP

908SSP Member

A couple of you have the correct answer the rest don't.

The issue is not to even try for a solo boost forget it.

What you want is to do is cut the volume for rhythm. You have volume knob on your guitar you know.

13. gearlovin

no i don't have this knob on my guitar :p I used it only to clean when I want a cleaner sound.

seriously I've try it but you know that there is nothing more beautiful than a komet turn at 1 to 2 oclock volume fully up on th guitar for a rock rythm part

but at this setting when I engage the boost it compress more but no more volume.

I'm really not the top guitar volume player but i'm not sure I like what i heard when I drop the volume on the guitar.
    I've try it but not the grit I want....
    seem that the attenuator footswitch or another volume knob on an attenuator would suit my need best

thanks for your helps guys...very appreciated.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

This is an interesting problem. The Trainwreck style preamp is designed so that the amp basically compresses guitar dynamics so that you can vary the distortion with the volume knob. It doesn't get a lot quieter or louder as you increase gain-the exact opposite of a NMV Fender that gets louder but doesn't compress. Basically, any increase in volume has to come after the power amp:
    1. Change voltages on the power tubes
    2. Footswitchable attenuator (not sure how you protect the amp from momentary unloading).
    3. Ultimate Attenuator/Reamp style solution

Anything else work? Boost pedals will not work in this style amp, and neither will volumes in the effects loop...

15. gearlovin

no one of them have an effect loop
    as for the footswitchable mass bypass...there is a switch directly on the mass so is it dangerous?

thanks

carl

16. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

My Ultimate Attenuator has two volumes on a footswitch, easy!

Or, use two amps, one quieter than the other.

17. gearlovin

ok here it goes

Gigliotti telecaster style guitar or les paul 1959 conversion
    go into my pedalboard in this order teese wizard wah, klon,cream tone,tremulator strobostomp, looper for a korg g4 and finally line6 dl4

then
    into either the komet or bruno into a 2x12 Z best loaded with a greenback and a g12h30

thanks

carl

18. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

with the guitar amp turned up to 1-2 o'clock and the guitar volume full, there's no way U're gonna get any more volume.
    the easy solution is to use the volume on the guitar and/or vary Ur dynamics w/ Ur right hand.
    or...
    turn down Ur amp and stack Ur OD pedals so the first one gives U rhythm crunch and kickin' in the next one gives U lead.
    or...
    learn to use the volume on the guitar along w/ right hand dynamics as well as a couple of ODs to give U even more colours.
    i'm sure some of the more elaborate suggestions already given would work to some extent as well.
    somehow i can't imagine something like this on a saxophone web page.
    "when i play sax, i try and blow as hard as i can when we play the head. when it comes my turn to take a solo, how do i make it louder?"
    son, ya gotta learn how to use DYNamics.
    part of music.
    how 'bout turning Ur amp UP and Ur attenuator up and using the volume on the guitar?
    sounds to me like Ur using too much attenuation.

19. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Edit - earlier post deleted. Sorry, a bit of a rant... :(

To put it more carefully... turning up or down at the guitar, or playing with dynamics don't do quite the same thing as controlling the final volume after the amp, and you can't necessarily substitute one for the other since any change before the amp changes the gain and tone, as well as the volume.

I think there is a place for being able to simply step up the final volume without changing anything else - quite a few amps have switchable MV levels, or 'solo' controls to do this... the difficulty is to do the same thing with power stage overdrive.

It can be done with a switchable attenuator, but be careful - depending how it's done, you may be changing the load on the amp suddenly, which if it occurs actually during a high-power signal can cause bad things to happen...

20. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

pardon me.
    it wasn't my intention to be patronising.
    i meant no malice.